Main Menu

71 Challenger interior trim pieces

Started by Whodatschrome, December 30, 2020, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Whodatschrome

Hi all, I'm a first time poster here. I'd like to get your help in figuring out what some interior parts that I have are worth. They have been in the back of my barn since the mid-90's? They used to belong to a family friend who had his 71 Hemi Challenger stored in our barn for about 10 years. The car is looooong gone, and unfortunately so is our family friend (RIP Eric). I stumbled upon the parts a few weeks ago, and I'd like to see them go to a different home. I know very little about Mopars, nor do I have the $$$$ to afford one. I did get to test drive our family's friend Challenger back in the mid-90's when I was around 18, so I have GREAT respect for all things MOPAR! That being said, this will probably be my only posting on this forum. I'd like to get these parts back in circulation.

FYI, I'm located near Portland, Oregon.

Thanks,
John

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @Whodatschrome   :welcome:

The center consoles should have some good value and the misc interior trim too, but condition matters.  I'm in Vancouver, WA so not far from you.  If I hear of anyone that might need those things I'll send them your way.

Whodatschrome

Thank you for your reply Cody! Too funny...i was trying to figure out where those "dashboard" looking pieces went. Of course they were to small to be a dash though. I would not have guessed that it was a console. It has been 20-25 years since i last sat in that car, so i don't remember the layout much at all. I do remember the accordion shaped plastic steering column spacer thingy and the Hurst pistol grip shifter...i'll, never forget that shifter...

I'm not sure what all shape the parts are in. I'm definitely not looking for top dollar at all. I'm cleaning out an old Conex shipping container that was left on our property, and those were the only MOPAR items in there. I'd like the parts to disappear so that i can continue cleaning.

anlauto

Welcome to our sight :grouphug:  You might have $500+ worth of stuff there, I see some stuff I could use but I'm on the other side of the Continent  :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Whodatschrome

Yeah, Ontario is a LOOOOOOOng ways away! I'm hoping to find someone local because shipping would be a nightmare. I'd like to sell it all in one lump so that it gets gone all at once. I do have a friend who does transporting for a living, but he mostly tries to stay within a few hundred miles from home. But sometimes he does trips down south towards LA.

Whodatschrome

As an update, I think the parts are out of a 1970, and not a 71? I just talked to my mother about the car, and she said (yeah, I got a rad mom) that she remembered being told by the owner (friend) that the Challenger in question had a "SE smaller rear window". I google searched it, and that now makes more sense to me why our friend said it was a "one of six" of that exact car built that year.

anlauto

If the car was a SE, then the window trim in the pictures don't belong to that car....unless at one point the car had the standard size rear window :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

Looks like one 71 and up console, and one 70 only console in the picture.

Floyd

@Whodatschrome

I could be interested in the 70 console (the bottom one in your pic).  Can you post some pics of the underside?  Any cracks anywhere? Are you willing to ship?

Thanks

Whodatschrome

Quote from: anlauto on December 31, 2020, 12:32:51 PM
If the car was a SE, then the window trim in the pictures don't belong to that car....unless at one point the car had the standard size rear window :alan2cents:

This is the car in question. I found some old pics of the car. I'll let y'all here decide what year, model, and trim package is on it. I don't have enough knowledge.

Whodatschrome

Yeya93 wanted some closer up pics of the 70 dash, so it might be easier to post up pics here of it so I don't have to send pics to multiple people.

There's some weird bubbling on it on one pic. I'm not sure if it's a burn mark or what it is. There's also one crack that's kinda underneath it. I'm guessing that it isn't visible once it's installed. Or it can probably be easily be repaired from the backside with a quality epoxy. The piano hinge on the door might need some manipulating too? The reason being that the door gaps don't line up the way they should. Again, any mediocre shade tree mechanic could easily do. I'd do it myself, but I'm trying to be fully transparent on the parts that I have, and I'm leaving that for the next guy to fix on how they see fit. Other than that, I don't see any cracked tabs or anything. A console shouldn't be too difficult to ship, but UPS and Fedex will probably want quite a bit for shipping!

Floyd

That looks like a 4-speed console but this area has me concerned.  Looks like a cigarette/cigar melt?

Thanks

Whodatschrome

Quote from: Floyd on January 01, 2021, 01:41:56 PM
That looks like a 4-speed console but this area has me concerned.  Looks like a cigarette/cigar melt?

Thanks

It's got to be some sort of heat damage. I dunno if it was from an errant ciggy, or from a possible heat gun? I do have a theory though...the owner was a smoker, and he did use his ash tray. He also liked to accelerate quickly, which is very easy to do in an old Hemi. I'm guessing that his ash tray was full of hot butts, he stomped on the skinny pedal at a green stop light, the ash tray few out of the dashboard and onto the seat, where it somehow smoldered on a 70's disco shirt that was draped over the seat and then melted the console. At least I like that theory the best. Reason being, that when he and I went for a test drive (back in the mid 90's), he showed me how fast it would accelerate. The ashtray flew completely out of the dash and into my lap! Luckily there were no hot butts in the tray at the time. The whole experience was completely visceral for me. Half of me wanted to crap my pants out of fear, while the other half wanted to pee my pants out of excitement.

Floyd

That's believable in a Hemi car!  Thanks, but I'll have to keep looking. 

xx88man

@Whodatschrome    The car pics are of a 1970 RT. I don't see anything that suggests SE...   :alan2cents:
Keep yer foot in it