Main Menu

71 Challenger JH car

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, March 07, 2019, 08:40:04 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Saw this locally. Any thoughts on value as a flipper? Obviously it needs a new floor. Probably a lot more. Not running. 318 auto

Chryco Psycho

this type of car is the worst car to buy , it has low inherent value & it will cost far more to fix properly than it will ever be worth , so how far do you go to fix some of it & get a return on it ?? I bet you don't want to work for free & use up time with zero gain

BIGSHCLUNK

we've all seen cars like this... they end up being bigger sink holes than more desirable cars IMHO... parts car........... 

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on March 07, 2019, 09:14:55 PM
we've all seen cars like this... they end up being bigger sink holes than more desirable cars IMHO... parts car...........

No doubt about it. I was curious what the average guy might be willing to pay for it. The only way I'd touch that rust bucket is to flip it.

BIGSHCLUNK

I've bought many parts cars over the years (as that's what I do). You really need to look, see what's there desirable to resell. Factor in TIME, this stuff does not evaporate over night. Trust me when I say parting cars is a crap ton of work. Generally I start (now were talking old MOPARS here, E's B's certain A's) around $500. RARELY go over 1500/2000. And the older I get (64 now) the less interest I have in screwing with it. EBAY an Craigs have turned into a real PITA over the years.....

kathyscuda

lovers right, flip it.thats the name of the game. flip flip flip .

superdave

I really hate to see ANY of them scrapped. Personally I'd love to have that one as it would be kind of a twin to mine but pretty much not worth it. As I look through the WIW posts I'm growing convinced that it pretty much never makes economic sense to restore any of them. :Thud:  :cheers:
     Dave

RUNCHARGER

I'm not a restomod guy however I would much sooner see a car like this get restomodded rather than cut up. A 71 Challenger is cool no matter what and they don't grow on trees.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I love restoration and wrench turning more than driving them if that's possible. I've never even heard of making a profit out of a project unless it's a flip at the very start with no time or money invested into the car. That holds true for any car that ultimately has a completed value of under $100k. It was even more true years back before you could easily buy repo parts so cheap. If saving money was the only reason people restored cars anymore, than only deep pocket highly collectible cars would be saved. Fortunately people attempt restorations for lots of reasons and that is why the aftermarket companies have been thriving.

I can't see anyone selling an ebody car today for 500-1000. I think that was possible ten years ago but not today. This car is probably not worth restoring unless you just enjoy the challenge of it as a hobby like I do.

Nobody is giving me a number so I'm gonna guess that someone might pay 3500-4000 for it which means to flip it you'd need to grab it for no more than $2k. Considering this seller is asking $7k, I suspect he's gonna have to keep this lawn ornament. No one would ever pay that.

YellowThumper

Looking at it I see almost no value. Unfortunately...
There appears to be zero full full panels solid.
Selling only sections of panels. Sections that are good, generally are good on everyone elses.
Drivetrain 0$ value unless somehow fresh.
Suspension? Too much time and labor chiseling off the rusted bolts.
Aftermarket availability has rendered the low end factory parts meaningless.
My2c
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Well you know then I see it as being good. No reason for a flipper to make money on it. Maybe the current owner will sell it to someone at the correct price and that person will modify the car himself, drive and enjoy it.
I don't blame the guy for asking as much as the next flipper would if he sold it to him cheap.
In a modded car the builder won't need the A/C stuff or the side moldings so there's some cash right there.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

No argument to any of these points. It's his car and he said should be the guy making the money, not me flipping it. When I first posted, I didn't see the holes in the hood and fender. I figured I could get it running, out in a new floor and make a couple bucks. A lot of buyers would shy away from a car needing only a floor but I could do that for little money and a weekend of time. A lot of sellers would never put in a new floor to sell it. So if all it needed was a floor then both of us could come out okay because I'd do the work the seller didn't or couldn't do and make money not so much off the seller but it making the car sell for more after I fixed a couple things.

Looking at the car closer, it's not worth me even meeting the guy. It's really bad. I just figured I finish the conversation I started. I probably should have been more clear at the start. I was curious what someone would pay not what it's actually worth. We all know it has no real value anymore. And what someone would pay means from a flippers point of view. All of you are too knowledgeable and too connected to the hobby to buy a project like this. I was referring to selling it to the average joe who might buy a car like this because he once had one in high school. That's where the flip market is.

I wish the guy well but he's double the price of where it really should be. If the hood, fenders and floor are completely rusted out, you know full well the inner fenders, cowl, hinge pillars, trunk and roof are too.