Main Menu

'71 Cuda 340/4speed

Started by Choppintime, February 08, 2018, 07:54:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Choppintime

Sitting around on a cold weather, snowy day and I'm bored. Not sure I'd even entertain selling at this point but I figured let me get some opinions on WIW.

So, throw this out there as I always think about selling my car but have yet to get real serious. My friends all tell me to take it to an auction and see how it goes. This past fall had a guy very interested in the car but I never put a number on it. Big part of me doesn't want to sell but I also have two in college and one more a few years away from college, so......

All original sheet metal '71 340/4speed 'Cuda. GY9/black gut, two fender tag car. Taken off road around 1975 or so and hood modifications and rear quarter antennae was done and it was painted late 70's to become a ISCA show car. Never completed and it floated around garages/shops for years. That second owner who was taking it to the show car circuit passed away and his family sold it to owner #3 in early 2000's. I bought it out of a barn in upstate NY off of him in 2005. Finihsed the car 4-5 years later. I have the original 340 block on a stand, no broadcast sheet.

Currently Arruzza built 511 Hemi, Kiesler 5 speed to an original 6 pack/hemi '70 Dana rear. Everything has been powder coated or chromed. Some small knicks in paint here and there from floating around for years, otherwise paint is really nice. Underside of the car is flat black. Original dash pad and gauges, recovered the seats in leather. Runs, drives excellent.

I know this is crazy custom so the right buyers would need to be found . I've got a number in my head but wondering what others think.

Solarguy

I'm pretty sure I've seen pics of your car on the net before, love the 70's style paint and the keystones.  I would say a 340 / 4 speed at 40, add the hemi and the 5 speed takes it to 55/60.  I'm sure you have more than that in it.

Spikedog08

First number that popped into my head was $50K . . I would have a hard time parting with that beauty though . . .  :notsure:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cuda Cody

I remember when you bought that car.  I love the 70's look of that cuda.  Good luck with the sale.  I know whoever ends up with it will be very lucky.   :bigmoney:

anlauto

Price is not the hard part, finding a buyer that loves it as much as I do :drooling: ....Oops...I mean YOU do....will be hard.

I will borrow the money and give you $50K this afternoon... :takemymoney:

In my opinion, to the "right" buyer....that car is a lot closer to six figures....

The Hemi 5spd is a $30K upgrade on top of a $60K-$70K car......

Only problem is finding the right buyer...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Give your head a shake and let your number fall out.....then we can see if you're crazy or not :crazytalk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Shane Kelley

:wowzers: I love that car!  For me the paint job is what makes it.  :perfect10:  Like Alan said it's going to be a issue of finding the right buyer. There's really nothing out there to compare it to for pricing. Auctions are a funny thing. For one I would never do a no reserve auction. But a lot comes down to what day and time slot your in and then you need 2 guys with deep pockets that want it.

One thing for sure. You will be sorry and miss it when it's gone. That's a piece of cool history right there!

Cuda Cody

I'm having a hard time not making an offer on it.  It's one of those cars that you really love it or you don't... and I love it!   :inlove:   Hope Alan is able to buy it.   :fingerscrossed:  Would love to see it stay in the E-Bodies.org family.

Cudajason

My favorite cuda of all time!!!  I love this car and if I had the money I would be on the phone right now trying to work out a deal.

I hope if you decide to sell it, it goes to someone that will not "restore" it. 

Good luck on what ever you decide to do!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

nsmall

I love your car and it may be the hardest car ever asked on this forum to price.

You can always have a price in mind and try to sell it and if it doesn't go for it hold on to it as you don't want to have regrets as this one is special. 

303 Mopar

I am not a big Mecum, BJ, or R&S auction person but if there was ever a car to consign to one of these auctions it would be this one.  It would get so much press, advertising, marketing which will give you the opportunity to get the right 1-2 bidders competing and driving the price up to where it should be.

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 08, 2018, 10:23:31 AM
I'm having a hard time not making an offer on it.  It's one of those cars that you really love it or you don't... and I love it!   :inlove:   Hope Alan is able to buy it.   :fingerscrossed:  Would love to see it stay in the E-Bodies.org family.

A little above my pay grade... :crying:

anlauto

Quote from: 303 Mopar on February 08, 2018, 11:40:00 AM
I am not a big Mecum, BJ, or R&S auction person but if there was ever a car to consign to one of these auctions it would be this one.  It would get so much press, advertising, marketing which will give you the opportunity to get the right 1-2 bidders competing and driving the price up to where it should be.

This is a valid point....big auction house might be the way to go, but with a reserve of course.  :alan2cents:

RzeroB

Crazy cool and I  :inlove:  that paint job!! I read somewhere else that you did a light cut and buff on it - looks great for 40 year old paint. Since it was done in the '70's can I assume that it was done in lacquer? I think most people used it for custom work back then as lacquer was easy to work with - but you often wound up with the minuscule hairline "checking" over time, :headbang:  I don't see any evidence of that here - looks great!

Anyway, as far as auctions go, I've heard nothing but good things about Worldwide Auctioneers. They're straight up and avoid a lot of the contrived drama and schill-bidding shenanigans that the other big auction houses use. :alan2cents:
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Choppintime

Thanks for the opinions guys. This is more me thinking out loud I guess. I have been thinking about it, but nothing concrete at this point.

I know I'd need to find the right guy or two if I went auction route. I would only do an auction if I could put a reserve. Call me crazy but I'd put a good number on it, and if it sold-it sold. Certainly not a fire sale. I've got two project cars that I may let go this spring. Always looking for stuff. Hell, I'm going to check that A66 out this weekend!