Main Menu

72 to 71 clone increase or decrease value?

Started by Drive In Cars, March 14, 2018, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Quote from: anlauto on March 14, 2018, 01:54:56 PM
Quote from: Drive In Cars on March 14, 2018, 01:49:46 PM
I think you're right on Alan :bigthumb:

Is this your "Phantasm Cuda'' you've been looking for ?

You have been looking for a while.  Yes round taillights and then a shaker hood and then the 71 grill and then a hockey stripe, stick to a theme.  If the tail panel is a 71, a black new hood seems like a minor correction.

I hope this is the one as summer is fast approaching and your drive in needs a Cuda, right?

I like the car, maybe add some interior pics and a price and the folks can give you their opinion.

Drive In Cars

Quote from: nsmall on March 14, 2018, 07:35:16 PM
Quote from: anlauto on March 14, 2018, 01:54:56 PM
Quote from: Drive In Cars on March 14, 2018, 01:49:46 PM
I think you're right on Alan :bigthumb:

Is this your "Phantasm Cuda'' you've been looking for ?

You have been looking for a while.  Yes round taillights and then a shaker hood and then the 71 grill and then a hockey stripe, stick to a theme.  If the tail panel is a 71, a black new hood seems like a minor correction.

I hope this is the one as summer is fast approaching and your drive in needs a Cuda, right?

I like the car, maybe add some interior pics and a price and the folks can give you their opinion.
Yes Thank You. I have been looking for probably ten years. I've missed some great ones.  I tend to hesitate lol.  Plus  even though I have paid some pretty high prices on some of my cars I don't think any of them are really worth it. I have bought houses for a lot less.  It has gotten crazy in my opinion. More people should be able to afford there dream cars. Between BJ and Mecum auctions which I attend, and crazy dealers, and the internet. Pardon my venting, but most will remember and agree twenty or so years ago things where more affordable.  Anyways the seller of this car is asking well here you go check it out https://wheeling.craigslist.org/cto/d/72-plymouth-cuda/6527175150.html  I asked his best cash price he said 40k. I think as Alan stated 30k is the number. I asked if a partial trade was possible he said only  an aar cuda.  I might have a look and pack along some cash and try for a more reasonable deal. If not whats another ten years I'm gonna live forever  :andyangel:
Movies & Cars......So Movie Cars it is !

Drive In Cars

Here is a refresher from last summer.  This is another car I've been working on for over two years, The owner still hasn't sold her. I afford 40 then 45k for her but he won't budge from 50k. She is numbers matching with color change. I would prefer power steering and rally dash which the 72 clone has, plus the quility of the 72 looks nicer and cleaner.  This car is in PA.  Here is the link to last summers post.  https://forum.e-bodies.org/whats-it-worth/15/71-cuda-340-4sp/2460/ I'm still in contact with the owner he really wanted 60k for the car, but after many e-mails and calls he came down to 50. It's .worth it to some, but I don't see it yet :)

nsmall

I would like to see what others think about spending 40k on this one.  Besides changing the hood, what else would you have to change in order to be satisfied?

You want a black 71 Cuda correct?  You want one that is restored correct?  This one might be worth looking at, but he sounds pretty firm on the price.

Yes the prices seem to be going in one direction and that is up.  Keep us posted.

6bblgt

I like the '71 at $50 long before I like the '72 at $40

what color was the '71 originally?

Drive In Cars

Quote from: nsmall on March 14, 2018, 09:57:27 PM
I would like to see what others think about spending 40k on this one.  Besides changing the hood, what else would you have to change in order to be satisfied?

You want a black 71 Cuda correct?  You want one that is restored correct?  This one might be worth looking at, but he sounds pretty firm on the price.

Yes the prices seem to be going in one direction and that is up.  Keep us posted.
The way I think too much that's what needs to change for me to pull the trigger on many cars.  Do any of you have buyers remorse before you buy?" LOL I guess" but as I posted earlier I think that's my hesitation and why I have let myself miss out on some nice ones. I tell my self I don't need another car, but all I do in my down time is hunt for more. I really do believe that cars are a vice and I think I'd be better off taking up drinking lol I would definitely sleep better wouldn't toss and turn all night worrying about how much work all these cars are lol.

Drive In Cars

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 14, 2018, 10:21:00 PM
I like the '71 at $50 long before I like the '72 at $40

what color was the '71 originally?
Curious yellow with black billboards.  And yes value wise the 71 is the one, but for option preference and quality the 72 is pretty nice.

RUNCHARGER

You're not crazy. I would shoot myself in the foot with a 12 gauge before I peeled off $45k for that car. It is not a clone it is a 72 Cuda with modifications. A true clone would have every detail covered and with mint paint etc. this is a half baked modified car, there's nothing wrong with that, however the value is not there. He is looking for an AAR trade? Yeah no kidding that is a huge jump in value from this car.
Sheldon

Moprr

If you do a search in the for sale section you can see another 1972 converted to a 71 that sold a few months back.  That one seemed really nice and the asking price was 38000

Drive In Cars

I was wrong about matching motor and transmission.  I confused this car with another 72 cuda I inquired about  lol.  I asked the owner what is original to this car and he replied "nothing original or numbers matching on the car, engine and tranny and rear are all different, and only original sheet metal that I didn't change was the inner roof structure, all other panels were replaced with new amd sheet metal" Almost a rebody to me . No fender tag or build sheet either.  Now whats the value? Not really a 45k car now lol. He did say she's like new after a ten year build.  I'm confused why if he wanted an aar cuda he didn't just use all 70 parts which the tail panel & lights and hood are. Then do a 71 nose?  Oh well to each his own.  I will continue my quest.

anlauto

I'd rather see all new AMD panels, then to see original panels full of bondo... :alan2cents:  but I agree about the mix-matched theme the car currently has going on....either make a 70 AAR clone or a 71 Cuda not both... :looney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

That look like a $30K car to me. The AAR hood really confuses me looking at the '71 Front end and the seats.. Hmmm it makes me wonder what going on and I'd want to take a real close look at every inch of that car before I'd let go of $30K, let alone $40K. If it is done really nicely without a bunch of filler it'd cost $40K to build that car from a decent start, but there are other options out there. If a '71 TX9 Cuda is what you want, keep looking for one. I don't think you will be happy with this facsimile.

Drive In Cars

Thank You,

I've actually got two other real tx9 71 cuda's I'm considering right now, a bit more money.  I just have to decide which one.

Bill

ledphoot

Quote from: Drive In Cars on May 19, 2018, 12:54:59 PM
Thank You,

I've actually got two other real tx9 71 cuda's I'm considering right now, a bit more money.  I just have to decide which one.

Bill

Good luck hooking you elusive black fish.