Main Menu

B-body 8-3/4 rear housing

Started by dave73, August 06, 2018, 06:42:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Found what I think is a b-body 8-3/4 rear housing. Perch center to center is 44". Saying 60 1/4" end to end, but that doesn't seem to match up with measurements I've read for b-body rears but maybe I'm wrong?

Pictures below. Guy is asking $250, what would you pay?

RUNCHARGER

Axle splines look okay. If the wheel bearings were usable I might pay $200 if I needed one. You don't trip on them like you used to.
Sheldon

JonH

Check out this site. Looks like from a 68 to 70 b body, or someone has moved the spring perches. Just be aware the overall width will affect wheel backspacing.

https://www.bigblockmopar.nl/tech/mopar-rearaxle-dimensions/

fc7cuda

I sold 2 at Carlisle for $125 ea. Clean Texas parts.

For reference:

'68-'69 B-body 54 15/16" housing, 60 1/16" axle flange to flange, 44" perch

'70 B-body 54 15/16" housing, 60 1/16" axle flange to flange, 44" perch

Good luck

gzig5

I got a 67 B-body unit for $110 with the axles.  I'm not sure of the bearing condition though so that might be another $70 I need to spend.  With good bearings $200-$225 seems like an OK deal.  Problem is that shipping these is expensive so you pretty much are captive to your local supply.

dave73

Just talked to the guy, wheels bearings are no good. He will go down to 100 bucks. I might pick it up. How much power will this take before it grenades? I would be putting it behind a stroked 440 and a 4 speed. Will my ebody chunk bolt into this?

autoxcuda

Quote from: dave73chally on August 07, 2018, 11:52:20 AM
Just talked to the guy, wheels bearings are no good. He will go down to 100 bucks. I might pick it up. How much power will this take before it grenades? I would be putting it behind a stroked 440 and a 4 speed. Will my ebody chunk bolt into this?

What specific tire size and model are you running out back?

All street driven?

If drag strip use, how much?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

dave73

Current tire is 275/60/15 bf Radial t/a, street driven. If I go b body width was going to get 15x10 wheels and stuff as large a tire under there as possible. No drag use

RUNCHARGER

$100 is a deal I think. Any 8 3/4 chunk will work in there. A 440, 4 speed will break it eventually with sticky tires but not right away. A 440, 4 speed with slippery street tires probably won't put the hurt on it for a while.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 07, 2018, 03:12:31 PM
$100 is a deal I think. Any 8 3/4 chunk will work in there. A 440, 4 speed will break it eventually with sticky tires but not right away. A 440, 4 speed with slippery street tires probably won't put the hurt on it for a while.

I've got a buddy with a Ray Barton built 440 in front of a 4spd & an 8 3/4 He's been driving his Challenger like that for over ten years & hasn't hurt it yet..... And he doesn't have an RBRE engine to idle around, it its beaten on some.... Not like when we were kids but enough that a weak axle would go boom....

Then there's Thumper Dart on Moparts, he's still running his 8 3/4, been in the 9's now for at least five years......   

Yes a Dana is tougher but don't sell an 8 3/4 short Chevy guys wish their 12 bolt was that tough......

RUNCHARGER

Yep: The guys at the Hot Rod shop were talking about all the 12 bolts and Munchies they broke and I just said I hardly ever break stuff. Then I told them maybe they should do what Grumpy did and put Mopar Powertrains in their Chebbies if they wanted to end all their problems.
Sheldon

GrandpaKevin

The stock 8 3/4 axles in my 73 Challenger did well behind my 440 with Hemi 4 speed with street tires, then I took the car to the local drag strip with fancy new ET Street tires.
The stock axles made  three 12 second passes, then I decided to really launch the car hard!
Broke the axle right on the starting line :'(

The price on the B body housing sounds good.
I wouldn't trust those 50 plus year old stock axles or bearings.

I would get a set of new HD axles (with new bearings installed) from Dr. Diff with longer/stronger wheel studs so you can fine tune your tire clearance with wheels spacers if needed.
http://www.doctordiff.com/axle-pkg-stock-length-mopar-5x4-1-2-bolt-pattern-pair.html
If you call Cass(Dr. Diff) with your housing measurements he will know the exact axle length you need.

Katfish

I wouldn't pay more than $100.
I had a complete e-body 8.75 WITH 3.55 gears I couldn't sell for $300.
Sold just the center section for $250, now I'm stuck with the housing and axels ......