Main Menu

Carter AVS and AFB - WIW

Started by Floyd, May 21, 2017, 08:24:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Floyd

Looking for help on pricing some carbs for sale. All can be described as complete but requiring resto.  Everything moves freely, but they are all wearing decades of "patina."

Carter AVS – 4741S – 70 440 HP AUTO with A/C and ECS, dated F0
Carter AVS – 4640SA – 69 440 HP AUTO with ECS, dated M3
Carter AFB 4326S – 67 440 HP MAN, dated F3

Thanks!

Cuda Cody

@ScottSmith_Harms  is the man when it comes to Carbs.  maybe he has a good idea what these will bring on the market.   :fingerscrossed:

ScottSmith_Harms

I answered this over on Moparts but here's a cut and paste for the E.org guys:

The one dated F0 is worth the most, 250ish, maybe more for the right buyer. The other two being dated later (replacement carbs) are not worth nearly a much simply because they aren't 100% correct for anything. I generally pay $50-$75.00 at swap meets etc. as I can use them for parts good ones might be missing. .02

* I could used the last one for parts of you are selling them

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi,

I own a 1970 Challenger RT/SE with a 440 magnum - 3 spd auto with A/C. My paperwork states the carb I should use is a Carter 4741 4bbl Auto, it makes no mention of the S. Not sure it that means anything, I didn't see any non S carbs in the service manual. I know the car does not have ECS, but my understanding was that for ECS the models are 4739s and 4740s.

At $250, I'd take it if I can use it. Not sure what the rebuild cost is going to be, but I can do $250.  Maybe ScottSmith could let me know if I can use it and the rebuild cost.

I'm also new to the forums, my first post... hi everyone
Thanks
Mike

Cuda Cody

Hello @Michael_B767_ATP   :welcome:  Thanks for jumping in and you know we're going to want to see some photos of your cool Challenger!!!  Maybe start a introduction thread and post a few pics  :takepicture:   :please:  What color is your Challenger?

@Floyd  hasn't said yet what he's looking for on the carbs, but hopefully he'll jump in and let you know.  Also, Scott does good work if you're looking to have it restored.   :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Mike, per Galen 4741 is the California (ECS) number but I don't see the ECS vent line so there's a good chance thats a misprint in the white book, it does happen....

As Cody already mentioned, if you'd like the carb fully & properly restored you should talk to Scott.... He is an artist...

Oh, And Welcome!!! We like pictures... :haha:

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi Cuda Cody,

My car is FK5 Burnt Orange. I'll see if I can attach a pic.

Hi 1 Wild R/T,

If we can work out a price, if this is the right carb. I'd like Scott to take a look at it and rebuilt it for me.

ScottSmith_Harms

Hi Michael_B767_ATP,

If your car is not an ECS car it should have a 4740s AVS and not a 4741s (They all got either the "s" or an "SA", it isn't a specific identifier but some carbs stamped "SA" are replacement carburetors).

I charge $399.00 to restore an AVS  (as well as most other single 4 barrels) to this quality level (see attached photo). I'd be glad to help you whenever you like. If the carb has broken or missing crucial parts it can add to the cost.

Thanks,
Scott

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi Scott,

This is what I got from Galen for the RT/SE. He shows the 4741, I have some info from the service manual for the 440 carb as well.

Cuda Cody

WOW!!!!   :inlove:   That is a beautiful RT/SE.   :wowzers:

Quote from: Michael_B767_ATP on May 24, 2017, 07:21:07 PM
Hi Cuda Cody,

My car is FK5 Burnt Orange. I'll see if I can attach a pic.

Hi 1 Wild R/T,

If we can work out a price, if this is the right carb. I'd like Scott to take a look at it and rebuilt it for me.

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi Scott,

Thank you, I picked her up at an auction about eight months ago. I'm just starting to change out the hoses and clamps, I'm going to try and get her close to original.

Thanks again
Mike

Cuda Cody

Hard to beat a 1970 Challenger RT/SE.  Really special car you have there!  :lookatthat:   @Michael_B767_ATP  it looks like Galen did a fantastic job decoding your Build Sheet for your car too.  If you ever need to decode a sheet again we have an awesome Build Sheet decoder on the site that you can use for free. 

http://decoder.e-bodies.org/1970-build-sheet/

ScottSmith_Harms

Yea, the broadcast sheet trumps all else when it comes to carb numbers. I was (ironically) going by Galen's White Book.

Michael_B767_ATP

Hi Scott,

That's good to hear, I hope we can work out a deal.

Thanks
Mike

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on May 24, 2017, 08:33:57 PM
Yea, the broadcast sheet trumps all else when it comes to carb numbers. I was (ironically) going by Galen's White Book.

I too looked at Galen's little white book, it's a quick easy reference, but it does have flaws & as I mentioned above, I don't see a vent line connection on the carb pictured above....