Main Menu

Challenger Hood Lip Moldings

Started by 71vert340, January 31, 2019, 12:45:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I'm going through all the new Challenger moldings I bought back in the mid 70s to organize them . It includes wheel opening moldings, trunk lip moldings, and hood lip moldings. I came across two hood lip moldings that I'm wondering what I should do with them, whether to keep and use them, sell them and get repros or ?
  1. My first one is a 71 R/T hood molding, part # 3620475. I looked at it and it has the black stripe on it which I believe is for an 71 R/T. Can I safely remove the black stripe on it without affecting the anodized finish? The original paper packaging is starting to fall apart, so should I repackage it or just wrap it in plastic (Saran) wrap in the original paper? Should I just sell it and get the right molding from Roseville for my 71 convertible and if so, what is it worth?
  2. My second hood molding is part #3549699. It does not have the flange that screws to the bottom of the front edge lip, but would just mount along the front edge. I don't know if this is for a 70 or 71 as I had both convertibles when I bought these moldings. Any help with the part number? I ran it and it came up 70-71 J so it appears it's for both years. Right now, I have one with a bottom flange on it on my convertible. Incorrect? If it's not for my 71, I can sell it and get the correct one repro. What is it worth if I sell it? The packaging on this one is also falling apart.
  Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Terry

Floyd

I'm guessing your car has the flange?  I have an early build 71 R/T and it had the molding without the flange and with the black tape strip I would wager that your NOS R/T piece is worth a fair amount of money.  I imagine you can get the tape off but it may better to sell it or trade for a non-R/T molding if you can find one.

I don't have any experience with the repro stuff, so maybe that will be good enough if they have it.

71vert340

The shaker hood on my car has the flange on the hood so I installed an NOS lip molding with the flange. I seem to remember back in the 70s my car had the lip molding without the flange. The hood has never been hit so I assume what was on there was original. I really can't recall. What I don't want to do is try to remove the black stripe and ruin the anodized finish on it. As you said, getting a non black striped molding is the answer. The  molding I have on there now only has one small ding from a small rock last time I drove it. It can probably be massaged out but...? I'm to the point now I have to decide what to do about the NOS parts I bought back in the mid 70s. I'm hoping to hear what others 71 owners have on their cars.
Another WIW question. I have a NOS 71 Grille and NOS light bezels. What would they be worth? I thought about trading out my original grille and bezels in excellent shape and selling them. The 71 hardtop I have has a good grille and bezels. Any recommendations? Thanks.
Terry

js27

A few months ago I sold off a NOS 70 Challenger hood molding for $300.00 and a 3 piece trunk molding for $500.00.
if this helps.
JS27

mccannix

Good deal for all , buyer should be thrilled paying that provided all are true 1970 only .....in the wrappers ?

Regarding the 71 Challenger NOS grill, if it is the RT molded in black you can set the bar on that one.
I sold these argent NOS 71's recently for $450.00, your RT black ones are worth more obviously.

js27

Quote from: mccannix on February 01, 2019, 11:31:18 AM
Good deal for all , buyer should be thrilled paying that provided all are true 1970 only .....in the wrappers ?

Regarding the 71 Challenger NOS grill, if it is the RT molded in black you can set the bar on that one.
I sold these argent NOS 71's recently for $450.00, your RT black ones are worth more obviously.

In the wrappers they were
JS27