Main Menu

E body clock stem pieces (standard gauges)

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, August 16, 2019, 03:40:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Curious what a good asking price is for this clock stem set up. I have a possible buyer but if it's only worth $10, I'll hold it for my Barracuda which is missing these pieces. Second photo shows how it attaches to the clock itself.

Second question...is the knob itself like the chrome ones on the rallye gauges? I tried one and it screwed on nicely but not sure what the original actually looked like.

7E-Bodies

Sensing these are pretty rare, I'd stop into a good machine shop (I used to work in one) and get a price on having a few made. I'd definitely hang onto that. JMO.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7E-Bodies

70 Challenger Lover

He is the person interested. I offered him the whole clock with stem pieces but he only wants these parts.

I like your idea about having a few made. There is nothing complicated about them. I see they reproduce the entire clock but no one makes the stem pieces so that tells me they didn't have access to one for reproduction.

Anyone ever see the knob on one though?

7E-Bodies

I wonder if the knob would mimic the one on the rallye clock. Good question. Hopefully someone answers up with one. I'd like to see you het some made. Perhaps @MoparDave could chime in. It seems a rare part like that that's so easily reproduced would be a shame to let get away before you get it duplicated. EM Smith machine shop here in central Illinois is a straight up place that can actually reproduce gears and gearbox components. I'm sure this would be nothing to them.

Ricomondo

A complete knob/stem would  look like this:

70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

1 Wild R/T

The knob is a standard rally dash knob. it is attached with the standard rally dash tube nut....  I seem to remember there being a spring but it's been years...

ClarkWGrizwald

I need one for a standard dash
If this one is at all compatible or adaptable or modifiable, I'd love to get a copy of it.  If someone has a standard dash one that we could copy, that would be great too. 

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

70 Challenger Lover

I was examining the two pieces and they are quite simple in design. I took machine shop classes in my youth and something like this should be child's play for a real shop. As far as a spring, I would guess there isn't one because the back of the clock where the metal sleeve screws on has a spring loaded doohickey already. Maybe there is a second spring in the tube though. I'll have to play with the pieces some more to see if an extra spring is necessary.

@ricomondo and @ClarkWGrizwald I examined my Barracuda that I bought a few months ago and it was ordered with this clock however the stem pieces are also missing. I know if I get rid of it, I'll regret it later. Let me look into getting some of these reproduced so all of us can walk away happy. I would guess that a machine shop making them one at a time would charge a good chunk of money per copy. Maybe $75 or so for both pieces??

Any members in here reproduce stuff as a business? Ideally, it would be nice to see this part reproduced for all Mopar people. Mass producing a few hundred of these should be fairly inexpensive. Someone went to the trouble to reproduce the clock so that says there is a market out there for the other pieces.

gzig5

I can make them if I have accurate dimensions or can get the part to make a print.  I have several lathes and a milling machine.  I think I could make the knobs on my indexer.  If you can take accurate measurements and make a print I'd give it a go or you can mail it to me, I'll measure it up, verify the threads with my special micrometer and send it back to you.  I won't guarantee factory finish but I should be able to make a functional part that looks right from three feet away.  I'd have to make one before I can quote it, but I need one for my car and can be the guinea pig.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: gzig5 on August 16, 2019, 05:58:53 PM
I can make them if I have accurate dimensions or can get the part to make a print.  I have several lathes and a milling machine.  I think I could make the knobs on my indexer.  If you can take accurate measurements and make a print I'd give it a go or you can mail it to me, I'll measure it up, verify the threads with my special micrometer and send it back to you.  I won't guarantee factory finish but I should be able to make a functional part that looks right from three feet away.  I'd have to make one before I can quote it, but I need one for my car and can be the guinea pig.

Pm sent

70 Challenger Lover

Sent a PM to @gzig5   My idea is to get him lots of pictures and measurements for him to attempt reproduction. I'd hold on to my original and then he could make and sell copies to anyone here who needs them at whatever price he sets.

I have a feeling a person could sell hundreds of them if mass produced. No e body owner with standard gauges likes staring at the blank cover filling the clock hole. Even though the clock was a rare option, people would add it just like 68-70 B body owners always add the Tic-Tock-Tach in their cars. It just seems right.

7E-Bodies

@Cuda Cody could you somehow link this thread to a new one asking for members that have or work in machine shops? This part could fall into extinction and it's a unique option. Speaking as an ex small parts machinist, this would be a simple part to reproduce. Of course the more made, the cheaper the per part price would be. Thoughts?

7E-Bodies

@70 Challenger Lover, the original being sent to the (trusted) shop would be the ideal option. A guy would need to put a micrometer to these parts to exactly duplicate them.

Jay Bee

The standard clocks are available in reproduction minus the reset mechanism making this a needed part. Good luck to all involved in this venture.