Main Menu

Exhaust tips

Started by RJChallenger, June 21, 2018, 08:43:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

I have this set of tips I bought back in the eighties from a Dodge dealership in town . What are they worth today. They show signs of time from sitting on a shelf, but otherwise very solid . Thanks

fc7cuda

NOS in the box seem to sell $400-450, yours could be close to that once cleaned up alittle.  :alan2cents:

1 Wild R/T

Can you say Evaporust......   15 minutes soaking & those would look so much better......

Topcat

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 21, 2018, 04:49:34 PM
Can you say Evaporust......   15 minutes soaking & those would look so much better......

Does it remove galvanized coating?

I've seen it remove coatings on parts before.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Topcat on June 21, 2018, 08:06:18 PM
Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 21, 2018, 04:49:34 PM

Does it remove galvanized coating?

I've seen it remove coatings on parts before.

Doubt it, Galvanizing is pretty tough....  If you want to play it safe tape off the round pipe which is all that is galvanized & suspend the tips so the pipe doesn't get in the solution....

RJChallenger

Thanks everyone. I will look for Evaporust at the parts store. As much as I would like to keep these beauties, I need want other parts more. As always  thanks

GY3R/T

Evaporust can remove light galvanizing. (I.E. head light buckets). IIRC Exhaust pipe of that era was aluminized which Evaporust will definitely remove. Watch it carefully.

340challconvert

A little unorthodox but;   :thinking:
Try using vinegar and water
Soak the exhaust tips in a plastic container w a mix of 50/50 water/vinegar
Doesn't smell great, but should remove the rust, then just rinse with water and dry
Leave it in the mixture overnight and take a pot scrub pad to clean them off.
It should leave any other coating intact.
PS-I also use evaporust on smaller items; works great but is expensive
Just a thought!

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible