Main Menu

Hemi

Started by cuda hunter, May 29, 2020, 08:13:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

anything stamped here?  :takealook:

Chryco Psycho

Th deck height is the height from the crank CL to the deck where the heads bolt on , you need a fixed location to measure the deck from .
We discussed the value on the phone & I would call again but my computer went down a couple of days ago

cuda hunter

Neil, I'll give you a  call tomorrow.
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

fc7cuda

Nothing against your friend, but I'd get a good machine shop to come completely check it out.  Sometimes old race blocks are too far abused for street use.  Good luck.

cuda hunter

I get it.  that's why I threw in earlier that he said he guarantee's the block is good.  I would get my money back if not a good block.  I'll have it magged for sure. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

So far the rockers for both sides are worth 2K and the black valve covers are worth 300. 

anyone else take a gander at the values of the other parts?  Is the block not worth anything due to not having it's casting numbers or does this all depend upon if it has been decked?   

What do I offer for  a set of heads. 

7212Mopar

It is your destiny to have this engine. Imagine having a HEMI in the engine bay and get to see it every time you pop the hood.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

cuda hunter

I feel that way too.  But I'm trying my best to not just believe destiny.  And I have another car that I am buying parts for and I need to make a smart financial decision here. 

blown motor

Destiny is not to be believed but rather to be followed.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

cuda hunter

Quote from: 6bblgt on May 29, 2020, 09:28:18 PM
anything stamped here?  :takealook:

I did not see anything, nor did I see any grind marks to suggest there was stamping removed.
I can go back by there and look again. 
What would the numbers stamped there tell me? 
And if there are no numbers, what would that tell me? 

6bblgt

"MN426" numbers would show when Chrysler built the engine
no numbers - would likely indicate that it was sold as a bare block

it is a newer than January 1968 block

HP2

Most Mopar guys I know have a mild fantasy about owning a Hemi.  It is an ultimate from Mother that, while still expensive, is still obtainable to many of us as we have watched other special cars approach mortgage level pricing. Those that have more than a mild fantasy for them find a way to acquire them.

If you have had access to this motor for 15 years and haven't moved on it by now, I'd say it isn't a high priority for you. It is only now that the prospect of not having access to it any longer is motivating you to consider it. If you really want it for yourself and he is basically guaranteeing the  block is good, you wouldn't have even asked about it here and would have snagged it. If you are more concerned with its market viability as a resale item, then it may very well be a longer term headache than you want to take on and deal with all the various BS that the numbers crowd will throw at you about the resale.

cuda hunter

Good points. 

I basically realize that anything I buy for 2 dollars will only resale for 1.50.  So I'm not so concerned with resale price.  But I want to have an educated value of what is there.  So i'm trying to get a value on all the parts that are available so I can give him an honest price on the parts. 
So right now I'm at 2300 with rockers and valve covers.  But don't have a price for the block, iron heads, pistons, rods and crank. 
He doesn't have an intake or oil pan in factory style.  But he can get them, but I would need a basic price for those also. 

Yes, it is a mild fantasy to have a hemi when I pop the hood.  In whatever mopar. 

RUNCHARGER

Block is the big mystery. If it wasn't decked or filled with cement and had no cracks it would probably be in the $3.5k-$6k range somewhere., fortunately the ground off casting #'s etc. takes it out of the high priced "collector" value.
Iron heads again have a wide range because used up racer stuff is at the lower end while untouched, unbroken parts are ast the high end. If the heads were surfaced excessively, had the usual racer cracks between the spark plug and valve seats they might garner $500-$1500 a pair. If they were not O-ringed and were usable without a lot of work they would be more like $3k a pair.
Pistons are probably racer stuff to use with a blower and are worthless.
Connecting rods are most likely aluminum and are worthless.
Crankshaft is another mystery. A lot of racer crankshafts are balanced for the aluminum rods, might be aftermarket without a correctly clocked balancer keyway and maybe missing the flywheel flange on the rear. With these issues a crankshaft would be worthless. Or it could be a factory Kellogg crankshaft that would be usable in a stock type rebuild and worth maybe $500 considering that new stroker crankshafts are quite affordable.
I've seen a lot of used up, racer parts that aren't easily utilized in a stock type street build so I am always wary of used, racer, Hemi parts as they are generally a headache.
The less "tricked out" the parts are the higher the value. As you can see establishing good values on these parts is near impossible and although my estimastes are all over the place, no one else is even going to take a stab at it.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

Well, thank you for taking a stab at it so far.
In order to get a proper value on the parts it sounds like I would need to take them to my machinist and have him tell me what he can about each and every part.  Basically tell me if they are stock or not.
If not, then they are really not what I'm after for a street car.  If stock, then you or yal can give me a proper value on the parts. 
Is that a correct assessment?