Main Menu

Is this old Hurst Competition Plus shifter worth anything?

Started by GrandpaKevin, March 20, 2018, 04:24:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I've had this shifter sitting in the basement for close to 20 years now and I don't anticipate ever using it.

I would definitely say the shifter will need disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt.

What's it worth?

Thanks.

jimynick

Competition Plus was the best model Hurst made until they went into special items, but as in all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If I needed one and saw it laying on a vendors table, as is, who knows? $50?  :dunno:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Daveh

As much as I hate to say it I agree with the $50.00 or even less.  They make reproductions that are even better with better tolerances than the originals.  You could have that rebuilt to sell for it's originality but that would be about $165.00 and unless you already had a buyer for that specific model it's not worth it.  Sorry  Good luck with whatever you do. 

Dave

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the replies.

$50 buck is right where I thought it would be.

Probably going to be a local sale to avoid shipping.

ZEN357

If you spent some time and disassembled it and cleaned everything up and maybe painted it you could probably get $100 for it.

1 Wild R/T

It's a stock pistol grip shifter for an E body minus the grips & bezels which are available...   I'll give ya $50 & feel like I robbed ya...

" They make reproductions that are even better with better tolerances than the originals."   :rofl:  I haven't seen a reproduction yet that was better that an OE part..

Daveh

To each is own - I've bought 2 recently that were some of the best I've used in a long time.  I really liked the way they shifted, they were very smooth and tight and weren't clunky.  Everything old isn't always the best.  Yes in a lot of instances it is but not always.  Just my 2 cents.

HP_Cuda

I believe: There is a stamping on the reverse dog ear which will help identify what it came out of.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

6bblgt

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 21, 2018, 07:59:09 AM
It's a stock pistol grip shifter for an E body minus the grips & bezels which are available...   I'll give ya $50 & feel like I robbed ya...

" They make reproductions that are even better with better tolerances than the originals."   :rofl:  I haven't seen a reproduction yet that was better that an OE part..

I was thinking the same thing & I don't have a 4-speed MOPAR  :('

GY3R/T

72-74 E-Body. splined handle, missing retainer. What condition are the splines in ? Most are stripped or heavily worn on the handle. The first point of a sloppy shift. Can they respline the handle ? Still worth 50.00.