Main Menu

Looking for guess-timates on what this 70 RT is worth

Started by 7E-Bodies, June 28, 2018, 07:08:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a 70 RT (JS23U0B.....).  727 console (C16).  All numbers match, body stamps too.  Build sheet excellent, fender tag excellent.  64,000 miles (non confirmed) when stored 15 years ago & had supposedly been warehoused prior to this owner.  Current owner disassembled almost completely to restore 15 years back and never finished it, but kept indoors.  Now in gray epoxy.  Engine/Trans setting near it, looking like new.  I plan to turn the engine by wrench and do a quick bore scope.  It's EF8, V1F (green vinyl roof per build sheet, but has been torn off, no rust under it), triple green, 6 way bucket (C62 per build sheet), factory salt/pepper cloth inserts upholstery (H5F8) with no tears/splits, Rally cluster like new with clock quartz kit already done, good original glass, all original parts except 3:23 is gone & now a 3:91, original housing.  Engine has all original parts including carb/air cleaner/valve covers/intake.  Non AC car, green dash pad w/small crack above speedo, new matching pad in box.  Headliner good and still installed.  carpet good.  90% original sheet metal, rust free frame, trunk pan replaced with half pan replacements, dime sized rust by the bright switch, lower rear quarters bead roll patched.  Engine bay solid.  Rim blow horn (S83 per build sheet) needs rebuilt, but he has the kit.  Original TX9 (per build sheet) rally wheels.  All parts seem to be there, and hardware sorted and labeled fairly well.  He's also tossing in a shaker hood and air cleaner (re-pop) from another car, even though original bubble hood is there and good.  The car is waiting for me to arrive and inspect further, as we've spoken extensively and we're meeting in less than two days to finalize.  I already have a Hagerty policy on it to cover me on the 8 hour drive home.  My ultimate question is what is considered a fair price? 
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Cuda Cody

RUNCHARGER

Tough one: Hard to say without photos. These cars cost lots to finish up depending on what it needs. $20k-$25k might be in line but it's hard to say. There's lots of costs to consider. Does it need more bodywork? Rad recored? Tires? Exhaust? Wiring harnesses? Trim refinished? Bumpers? Paint itself will eat up a good chunk of cash.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I'd say it would be worth 50-55K finished.
So work backward from that range.  How much do you think it will cost to paint and finish it?

Cuda Cody

The end value will most be effective by the quality of the restoration and the fact it's an Auto with a color that people either love or they don't.  EF8 looks fantastic when it's done right, but does not seem to bring the big money that some of the other colors can.  Can you tell us how much he's asking for it?

headejm

@7E-Bodies I live near Peoria. I'd be happy to go with you to inspect it.  :cheers:

7E-Bodies

Just looking over some of my old posts when I found this. Long story short, I did pull the trigger. I've never regretted it. Been a few surprises, nothing major. Solid project. However, this old thread reminds me of how damn slow I am. OCD perfectionists don't make for good production guys!

RUNCHARGER

And still no photos? Ha, ha. It's went up in value since you bought it anyway!
Sheldon

7E-Bodies

anlauto

So you bought it a ways back....What's it worth ? What did you pay for it ? What do you think it's worth today ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration