Main Menu

Need Input on Space Saver

Started by gygeneral, July 17, 2017, 02:23:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gygeneral

I've got this space saver wheel and tire, like some input of the price for this piece. Markings by valve stem is K2 over 9 and the other side of valve stem is 3, 5.5.
The tire is a BF Goodrich F78/14

Thanks for the help

Cuda Cody

I think @Convertcuda  was looking for a specific date on one of those.  As for price, I'm really not sure what they are bringing these days.  Saw a couple of them at the Carlisle swap, but didn't stop to see what they were bringing.  I think Tom @fc7cuda  is good with prices on those?  :fingerscrossed:  Maybe he has some thoughts?

anlauto

I'd give you $400 CDN for it  :takemymoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fc7cuda

Typically that would read as July 3, 1969 rim.  5.5 width.  It appears to be lacking the 7 digit number by the valve stem hole and this is CORRECT.  It also has the smaller 6th hole which is correct.  It is missing the white instructional decal, but they are available from ECS. 

Normally this early rim would have a 7.75 x 14 BF Goodrich tire, but since it has the later in 1970 size of F78 x 14 it's quite possible it has been changed out.  The tire date would be interesting to know. 

Most likely it has been repainted since the decal is gone.

:alan2cents:

Tom

Cuda Cody

I'm learning something new.   :)  thanks Tom.  Any idea what they bring in terms of money these days?  And is anyone repoping them or the tires?

@gygeneral  how long have you had it and what do you know of it's history?

gygeneral

Hey Tom, if you look it has the 7 by the valve stem.

Cody, I don't know much, I bought this off a member on Moparts about 10 years ago.

I will see if i can find a date on the tire.

Alan, come on you can do better than that..... :bigmoney:

fc7cuda

Quote from: gygeneral on July 17, 2017, 04:51:46 PM
Hey Tom, if you look it has the 7 by the valve stem.

"7" is the month JULY.

fc7cuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 17, 2017, 04:41:17 PM
  Any idea what they bring in terms of money these days?  And is anyone repoping them or the tires?

No quality repops on either the tires or the rim that I'm aware of.

The mint/virgin early rims with unused/non-inflated 7.75 x 14 BFG tires and original decals are easily over $1000.  This one is a good early rim, but the decal is gone and they just don't fall off.(so repaint)  The tire is a late 70 and 71 tire so it is correct for that time period, but not considered the more valuable tire. 

It's hard to value this rim because it also appears to have some excessive wear around the lug holes. Looks like washer marks? or something causing additional wear in a circular pattern around these holes.  So I'd have to see this area closer and know the tire date and tread wear before I'd venture on a value range.  :alan2cents:

:cheers:

Tom

gygeneral

here's a pic of the threads.

gygeneral

here's a pic of the date code

6bblgt

the tire was manufactured (375) 37th week of 1975 - does it have large outline black letters on the backside "TEMPORARY USE ONLY" ? if so, I believe that tire started off as a GM F-body (Camaro/Firebird) tire.

there have been "clones" of E-body space-saver spares made for a couple decades by now  :bigmoney: someone was selling them at Carlisle in the $550US range but was vague on details

6bblgt

here's the tire I purchased for my R/T's trunk, it's dry-rotted on the backside where the DOT number is & AFAIK is un-dateable  :notsure:

K2/9 10 -o- 8 5.5 w/BFG F78-14 # 4885A405-2

K = manufacturer Kelsey-Hayes
2 = plant #2 (location ??)
9 = 1969
10 = October
8 = 8th of month
5.5 = width 5.5"

gygeneral

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 19, 2017, 03:19:01 PM
the tire was manufactured (375) 37th week of 1975 - does it have large outline black letters on the backside "TEMPORARY USE ONLY" ? if so, I believe that tire started off as a GM F-body (Camaro/Firebird) tire.

there have been "clones" of E-body space-saver spares made for a couple decades by now  :bigmoney: someone was selling them at Carlisle in the $550US range but was vague on details

No, I cannot find the words "temporary use only" on the tire.

ply64post

I was in Carlisle and saw numerous spares ranging from $850. to $ 1495. My cousin purchased one for his
440 six barrel cuda and a close number match. The car  build date A 06 and the spare was 9 sept 8th. I was told to watch because there are counterfeits out there using Ford wheel and a gm tire. So Watch!!!!!!   :barf:

Jeff   

gygeneral

Thanks everyone for you input, this helps me a lot.