Main Menu

New Member Here, Seeking Advice on 70 Vert Barracuda Purchase

Started by indetrucks, August 11, 2021, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

indetrucks

Good day all!
So, I will admit that I've never owned a Plymouth but am not new to the Muscle car/collector car world.  I tend to over research EVERY purchase, but with a potential high dollar car such as this, would love some expert advice.

I will start off by saying, sorry for the poor pics.  I have not seen the car in person and the seller is an older gentleman who may still be using a potato to take pictures.   The car is NOT local to me, so I will be traveling quite a distance to inspect prior to a deal being made.  Although, a tentative agreed upon price has been established.

Here's what I know (or at least think I know) about the car.
-Repainted 10+ years ago
-Numbers match (trans, block, rad support, cowl etc)
-Manual top (were these even available in electric?)
-Owner is not sure of the extent of rust repair or if any metal was replaced (nothing was done during his ownership)
-Hood pins are NOT on the fender tag
-Chrome Mirrors also NOT on fender tag

My concern is a few things:
-Based on Hagerty's valuation, this car in concours condition is worth $77,600 and excellent condition is $57,900.  The owner is asking $60k (excellent+ according to Hagerty).
-The fender tag certainly looks like it was/is rusting with a few pinholes.  This makes me believe the car has had rust repairs in other areas.
-Car is in storage and apparently was stored with the top down.  It appears where the top meets the rear glass is lifting, is this a result of being stored in the down position?
-The drivers side trunk area looks odd to me. Almost like there is a seam where a new pan was welded in and repainted?  Again, not a Mopar guy so unsure of how they came from the factory.

What do you pro's think this car is worth?  What other questions or areas should I inspect?
I will follow up this post with replies containing more pics (allowed only 10 pics in this post)

Thank you all!  :cheers:

indetrucks

Additional Pics

indetrucks

Pics part3

erik70rt

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!

First and foremost, it's not a 'cuda (VIN starts with BS).  It's a 383 2BBL (L code) Barracuda (VIN starts with BH) that has been cloned into a 'cuda.  L code cars are pretty uncommon, but I don't want you to think you are buying a true 'cuda when you aren't. 

The best way to gauge the market and pricing is to look online to see what others have sold at.  Ebay is a good place to look, as is Hemmings.  Don't look at the astronomical asking prices, but the realistic sold prices. 

Based on what I see there and the current market of Barracuda convertibles, I think 50-60K for that isn't bad if the sheet metal doesn't have to be redone. 

I see it's in NJ, so depending on where in NJ I could take a look at it for you if you would like.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

indetrucks

Quote from: erik70rt on August 11, 2021, 10:29:52 AM
First and foremost, it's not a 'cuda (VIN starts with BS).  It's a 383 2BBL (L code) Barracuda (VIN starts with BH) that has been cloned into a 'cuda.  L code cars are pretty uncommon, but I don't want you to think you are buying a true 'cuda when you aren't. 

The best way to gauge the market and pricing is to look online to see what others have sold at.  Ebay is a good place to look, as is Hemmings.  Don't look at the astronomical asking prices, but the realistic sold prices. 

Based on what I see there and the current market of Barracuda convertibles, I think 50-60K for that isn't bad if the sheet metal doesn't have to be redone.

Thanks Erik,
Yes, I was aware it wasn't a Cuda.  From what I understand, this car has a 2barrel carb which basically makes it basic Barracuda.  If this would have had a 4barrel from the factory it would be a Cuda and value would be significantly higher (from what I understand).   
Ok, so as long as the current panels don't need replacement (owner says they are fantastic) $60k isn't too crazy?
Yeah, I wish it was a 4spd car.  Was thinking of pulling the trans, storing it and putting in a Tremec 5 spd unit.  Of course that's $6k+ right there (not including labor).

It's been hard to find comps as this is 1-59 according to production numbers.
Appreciate your insight

indetrucks

I see it's in NJ, so depending on where in NJ I could take a look at it for you if you would like.

Just seeing this, it's about 20 min west of Newark.  How far from you is that?  Really appreciate the offer, super kind of ya!

erik70rt

Quote from: indetrucks on August 11, 2021, 10:38:39 AM

Just seeing this, it's about 20 min west of Newark.  How far from you is that?  Really appreciate the offer, super kind of ya!

It's about an hour from my house, but I'll be in NJ this weekend out that way. 

And as far as the top by the back window, that will go down naturally.   My top does that anytime I put it down. But NEVER store a convertible with the top down for long periods.  The top needs to be stretched or it will shrink, and you will have to slowly stretch it out to get it back into the up and locked position.

Jay Bee

I agree with Erik on the price considering the panel conditions are good too. I just upped my Hagerty coverage to $60k CAD, it's a 318/auto that's no where near as original as this one.

My top looks the same after putting it up, like Erik said, that's kinda normal.

These did come with the optional power top (electric/hydraulic), FWIW mine is.

Look close at the frame rails, make sure they're not "soft". Judging from the pics and description they're probably okay.

Good luck, you can never go wrong with an ebody convertible.

indetrucks

Quote from: erik70rt on August 11, 2021, 10:41:46 AM
Quote from: indetrucks on August 11, 2021, 10:38:39 AM

It's about an hour from my house, but I'll be in NJ this weekend out that way. 

And as far as the top by the back window, that will go down naturally.   My top does that anytime I put it down. But NEVER store a convertible with the top down for long periods.  The top needs to be stretched or it will shrink, and you will have to slowly stretch it out to get it back into the up and locked position.

Send ya a PM Erik

anlauto

I think the asking price is fair  :alan2cents: You couldn't build one for that price.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

indetrucks

Does anyone thing the trunk metal was replaced based on the pics?   It appears there is a seam where maybe someone welded in a new piece and repainted over it?

indetrucks

Hi Erik, I sent you a PM, but when I didn't get a response I checked my "sent" folder and it states I cannot send personal messages?  Either way, would love to chat about your offer to inspect this weekend.  That would be HUGE for me.

Call/txt me?  3onezero 9one9.7eight2six
Or you can try sending me a message, but not sure if i can respond?   "Likely because I'm new here"

many thanks

erik70rt

Quote from: indetrucks on August 11, 2021, 12:13:43 PM

Hi Erik, I sent you a PM, but when I didn't get a response I checked my "sent" folder and it states I cannot send personal messages?  Either way, would love to chat about your offer to inspect this weekend.  That would be HUGE for me.

Call/txt me?  3onezero 9one9.7eight2six
Or you can try sending me a message, but not sure if i can respond?   "Likely because I'm new here"

many thanks

It came to me in an email, so that is how I responded. 

Also, those seams you see are correct.  It's where the trunk pan meets the trunk extension.

anlauto

I think the trunk floor and extensions have been replaced at one time. Very common on E Bodies to rust out there  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

erik70rt

Quote from: anlauto on August 11, 2021, 12:59:39 PM
I think the trunk floor and extensions have been replaced at one time. Very common on E Bodies to rust out there  :alan2cents:

I am going to go look at it this weekend, so I'll look for non factory seams in the quarters and such.