Main Menu

nos 6 pac filter and lid

Started by cuda hunter, February 27, 2020, 06:40:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

The filter granpakevin posted on the left appears to have the square holes.  Is that the correct original filter I'm looking for? 

What is the worth of the wide lip lid? 

Would a wide lip lid work the same as a small lip lid? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Jocigar

:popcorn:

Amazing how much there is to know about every little part when date matching.

Stupid question please; does Roseville offer aftermarket and what is the giveaway between factory or not.

I understand using parts that have casting dates and numbers.

Someone is selling an NOS set for $600 on CL near me, not sure if worth the price or how I can tell if correct for 70 440-6

Sorry to jump in @cuda hunter

mccannix

Unless my eyes are going GrandpaKevin posted pictures of correct style round punched hole filter, not square  :rubeyes:
Thats the style that was assembly line and considered correct.
Wide lipped lids are always seen priced more than the  others.
You can check internet for prices and yes it will work fine  for you, only difference being the added meat around the edge.
And yes, Roseville carries the reproduction as do many other vendors
Regarding the NOS CList one, remember Chrysler re-issued these many years back with a few subtle differences.
If it is truly NOS it should have the Made in Canada and 7 digit number stamped, as should the lid.
Again, the reproduction are pretty good, and add to that , they reproduce the stamp as well.
Buyer beware.
If it is the 6 pack base with the shield, these have more value in my opinion because the current reproduction does not offer that.
$600.00, good price if truly NOS pkge and clean.

anlauto

I just sold a complete set, base with shield, repro round hole filter, narrow lipped lid....This was all brand new Mopar Performance stuff. It sold quick for $600 CDN or $460 USD (approx.) Currently "out of stock".

Seeing how you're not going "OE Gold" on your restoration, I would think the MP parts would suffice  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

probably my eyes. So round is the correct filter type that I'm looking for. 

The base is a whole other story.  I've not seen enough pictures of those to understand the difference's.

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

This is the kit you should be looking for in my opinion  https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dcc-5007737ac/overview (currently out of stock) You may find someone that has one in stock if you call around  :dunno:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Jocigar

what can you tell me ?  thanks

anlauto

That's the same kit I listed above, just an older version. It is correct, except the filter, for a V-Code car WITHOUT the N96 OPTION. :alan2cents:

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on February 28, 2020, 09:36:52 AM
That's the same kit I listed above, just an older version. It is correct, except the filter, for a V-Code car WITHOUT the N96 OPTION. :alan2cents:

Disagree - the most recent (advertised longer but made it to the US shore about a year ago) 440+6 air cleaner w/shield kit was NOT a good quality piece - fit and finish was poor, but it was available & pretty cheap (it was the first reproduction of the shielded 6bbl air cleaner) any prior version was made for/by Chrysler Corp.

Chrysler produced a 6bbl air cleaner base in the late-'90s with a "NOTCH" for air conditioning compressor clearance, a quality piece (you would just have to deal with "NOTCH" repair) pictured below

does the black pair (shown above by @Jocigar) have the "notch"?

:iagree: on the ~$200 for the OP's parts & even though it's not as factory delivered I'd use that filter long before a ~$100 K & N air filter, but is that lid NOS or a more recent reproduction?  :takealook:

anlauto

I will take your word for it, I've only ever had the one set-up in my hands and that was just last year. I don't know where or when my customer bought it, but I know for sure it never had that notch....

It's interesting, I've never seen one notched like that before, certainly something to watch out for  :o

RUNCHARGER

Jocigr: That is real Mopar over the counter stuff you have. Note the Made in Canada stamp.
Sheldon

Jocigar

Sorry guys, help me read thru the lines  :worship:   

1970 440-6 with rally hood and no ac ... is it correct? and what should I offer?

6bblgt

this is a NOS air cleaner (NO NOTCH) - for ~15 years I unsuccessfully tried to trade it for a "shielded" unit (new or used)
packaging for the base is dated 6/89

RUNCHARGER

Jocigar: Yes it is, I can see the shield. I would offer quite a bit if I needed it. I'm out of touch on 6BBL stuff but a WAG would be at least X1.5 what a totally incorrect Chinese knockoff lists for. I expect that one has the notch, I wouldn't even remove the notch if it was me.
Sheldon