Main Menu

NOS AAR side stripes

Started by Fastmark, October 16, 2019, 04:22:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Fastmark

I have an NOS set of side stripes for an AAR cuda. I have them listed with an AAR I have for sale. They seam to be in good condition. Anyone every used strips that old and had problems with adhesion? I have a guy that wants to buy the stripes outright and I could buy some repops or just sell it without stripes.

6Pack70

Sell them and buy repops.  They are only good for novelty after 40 something years....most cases rolled up in boxes.  Mine look great too, and appear to have been stored correctly but the reflective graphics for CUDA and the AAR shields are sooooo brittle.  I peeled a tiny area up and nearly broke a chunk off the AAR shield.

Fastmark

These have been laying flat. I bought them in 78 from the trans am club when they had them made by 3M. I have had them flat all these years.

Floyd

I can't speak for AAR stripes, but I used NOS stripes on my T/A and they turned out great.  A buddy of mine is the stripe guy for APEX (and Aloha before that) and he swears by NOS, as long as they were stored well.

anlauto

Quote from: Fastmark on October 16, 2019, 05:12:55 AM
These have been laying flat. I bought them in 78 from the trans am club when they had them made by 3M. I have had them flat all these years.

So they're not NOS Chrysler ?
If you're selling your AAR as a project, I would say sell them separately to maximise the profit...including them with the sale of the car won't make much difference in price.

On a side note: PERFORMANCE CAR GRAPHICS is no longer making or selling AAR Cuda stripes.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6Pack70

I talked with Dave Patik at Performance Car Graphics not long ago and he told me he's no longer making the AAR shields. However he can make the rest of the AAR side stripes though.

Fastmark

The were paid for by the TA club owner. It's been awhile but the name Jeff Johnson comes to mind. They were approved by Mopar and sold with the original part numbers and in Mopar boxes. They were made by 3M at the original plant using the original dies. They were not cheap. I think $200. I remember some getting made on the side by a worker and they got out the back door a little cheaper.  It's been awhile.

anlauto

That's cool, never seen that before....I would still sell them separate if you have a serious buyer... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Fastmark

So who makes the best reproduction stripes for AARs now?

fc7cuda

Quote from: Fastmark on October 16, 2019, 12:28:28 PM

Mark,

I'd hang on to them until you have an acceptable repo set in hand, and even them I'd really have to be tempted by the money.  There's a reason the other guy wants to but them. 

nsmall

@Floyd Absolutely love your car.  Have you every shared pics of your car on this site?

anlauto

Quote from: Fastmark on October 16, 2019, 12:28:28 PM
David from PCG suggested that where ever I purchase them from to make sure the badges are silk screened and not just computer printed.
Dale's Cuda shop, I believe makes them the old school way, but they are so hard to get a hold of these days and Josh couldn't tell me for sure how they were done.
Phoenix Graphics on the other hand states on their web site that they are screen printed, so I went with them. They look real nice, but I have not installed them yet.

I've used only PCG for the last 30 years, so it was a hard choice to go somewhere else. :alan2cents:

6Pack70

Got mine from Dales. It took quite a few emails back and forth to get them but they are really nice. Correct looking "A" in the middle too.

Fastmark

I'm pretty anal about things so I saved the boxes they can in when I bought them. I purchased them in August of 1983. Here's the boxes they came in.

6Pack70

Thats pretty cool!  Those arethe later realeases from Mopar. The black vinyl is gonna be more like a semi-gloss with a tiny amount of texture.  The first release stripes with the black and blue Chrysler Parts boxes are like textured flattish black. They are also pretty thick cut.  Those are a dead match to what was originally on the AARs.  However, good luck finding 50 year old first release decals for an AAR. Lol