Main Menu

U or V code drive train

Started by cuda hunter, October 20, 2017, 06:51:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I have a friend that I sit around and shoot the shot with at estate auctions I go to.
He's a first gen barracuda guy.  Has a 64 and like 5 65's.
He knows I'm a 70 cuda guy so he mentions to me that I should purchase some 440's from him.  All standard run of the mill stuff, not 70 or 71's.
But then he proceeds to tell me that he had a 70 rt/se that he purchased back in 74.  It wrecked or rolled or something or another in the 70's.  In North Carolina.
After it was wrecked he took the drivetrain out of it. 

440, 4 speed, dana 60 410's.   says some guy offered him 300 bucks for the dana and he laughed and laughed. He says that since I am the only guy in my county with a 70 and 71 barracuda that I should have them.  Says he isn't in a rush to get rid of them and that I have first dibs on them. 

I need to know some basis of value for this set up.  From what I know the rear is complete minus the big brakes that were taken off by some kid he knows. Motor had one rebuild on it and I don't think he said anything more than a hone job. 

So what's it worth?  And please tell me what I should look for so that I know the difference between this and that.  How do you tell the difference between a V code and a U code 440?  Will the transmissions have a different spline from one to the other?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Cuda Cody

I'm guessing the Dana is around $2k if it's an E-Body.

cuda hunter

3500 for all of it then.    2k rear ,   750 motor,   750 4 speed. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

yes, e body.  Out of the rt/se.  Numbers match.  Car was sold. 

Cuda Cody

cuda hunter

Don't know yet on splines.

I'm assuming U code as he didn't mention a 6.

Should it be an 18 spline assuming the drive train is together from the same car. 

Cuda Cody

V Code would be 18 spline and the value of the trans is going to be much higher.

cuda hunter

anlauto

Quote from: Cuda Cody on October 20, 2017, 08:00:32 PM
V Code would be 18 spline and the value of the trans is going to be much higher.

U code also uses 18 spline....

The only visible difference in the U code or V code 440 would be the intake I believe....unless the U code is not externally balanced :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

70 U & V both have the big rods hence the offset balancer... As Alan said both would have an 18 spline...   
Rumors are a real V code block will have an upside down C on the pad with the F 440 HP2.... I've seen long term owned un molested V codes with no C so I don't place much trust in that rumor...

Chryco Psycho

ALL HP 440 used 6 pack internals in 70 with 18 spline trans & Dana diffs , the one give away may be the vapor seperator , I do not believe the 4 used it

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

Bellhousing is $300 if it's there, flywheel $200 or more if it's for heavy rods, Shifter? Driveshaft? Exhaust manifolds are $300 or more if they're there. Lots of variables to consider.
Sheldon

cuda hunter

he said complete minus rear large brakes and drive shaft

RUNCHARGER

That car was wrecked a few years old so there are no guarantees whatsoever what parts are there. A lot of E-bodies had B-Body Dana 60's swapped in by 1972 or 1973 already, Also I seen them with B-Body 4 speeds butchered in at that time already as well.
Best thing to do is go see the parts, take some photos of what is there and some casting dates and assembly #'s and we can give a better estimate of value.
Worst case is a 66 440 with no bellhousing, no shifter, 23 spline 4 speed and a B-body Dana 60 with a set of 5.38 gears swapped in and no exhaust manifolds etc.
Best case would be a nice all matching Six Pack 440 with it's original bellhousing, flywheel, shifter, 18 spline dual shifter mount and an E-body 4 speed.
The differences in value are thousands of dollars.
I once bought a Dana 60 out of a 70 Road Runner, it had the spring perches moved in on both sides. It was cheap enough so I paid the asking and loaded it up. I got it home and it was wider than my E-body Dana that I had laying on the floor. It turned out to be a fairly rare 71-72 B-body Dana, so that's the type of stuff that can happen.
Sheldon