Main Menu

Value of a 1972 Challenger ?

Started by anlauto, October 07, 2018, 08:02:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

So the other day I was having a conversation with one of my customers about a 1972 Dodge Challenger JH23H car with a 340 auto. So it's a non Rallye 340 car....
The thing about this, running driving, number matching car, is that it's 100% rust free California car, I have no pictures, but have seen video, and this thing is RUST FREE !

So my comment was..." ANY absolutely rust free 340 72 Challenger has to be worth $20K all day long."  Do you think that is a fair statement ? Living way up here in Canada, my opinion might be jaded, because we see rusted, patched up cars all the time asking that much.

What do you guys think ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

I would think for sure it is. Mine is a 74 340 auto Ralleye but non numbers with a couple little body issues. Does that make them similar value? I paid 15K US six years ago and prices have gone up since then.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

303 Mopar

anlauto

Quote from: 303 Mopar on October 07, 2018, 08:30:53 AM
Is it a bench column car?   :Stirring:

No I don't believe so :thinking: ....It has a 6.1 Hemi in it so it must be worth $100K or more ....right ? :haha: :haha:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

From what I understand the car does have nice colours and options, but I was looking more for a general idea of just a "rust free 1972 340 car"

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on October 07, 2018, 08:38:06 AM

No I don't believe so :thinking: ....It has a 6.1 Hemi in it so it must be worth $100K or more ....right ? :haha: :haha:

Not sure on a 6.1 since mine is a 6.4, but I think you're close.   :banana:

I would think a '72 340 auto in with no rust or damage in a desirable color would bring at least $20k.

superdave

First off I'm a total rank amateur/wanna be compared to you guys, having said that... I am a bit of a '70-'71 snob for the most part for obvious reasons. But I've come around some since joining this site and there are some who absolutely prefer the later cars. In the end they are all cool and rust free would be worth a lot and that doesn't sound out of line at all IMHO. :bradsthumb:
    Dave

anlauto

So my customer bought the car, it's a triple black 340 auto car with AC and a factory sunroof... :yes: Ill be restoring it next year.

Flatdad

In the context of where I live, in the heart of the 'rust belt' I agree with your assessed value. Think I'm more excited to see this restoration than many of the others!

superdave

:popcorn: This will be interesting. In the small world of Mopar and smaller yet e-bodies, we all have our preferences. 4speed :twothumbsup: sun roof :banana: black :barf:. But that's just my preference, I just don't care for black, now give me a bench seat and a column auto :banana: :banana: :yes:  :rofl: :cheers: Looking forward to Alan's work on this one. :popcorn:
    Dave

IRON MAN

Here in California the market is currently very strong for 72-73 Challengers. CL and eBay currently have listed  five 72-73 Challengers ranging in price from 28K to 35K for nice looking inside and out, daily drivers. Some have 340s the others transplanted 440s. All automatics with console. Suspect some were 318 models. There are exceptions. Conclusion: market is drying up, rust-free e-bodies becoming scarce, excellent investment potential.

benlavigne

Here is an ugly column-shift 318 1972 Challenger I would have gladly paid 20k for.
The ad is still up, but it's been sold weeks ago...

https://wwwb.autotrader.ca/a/Dodge/Challenger/MISSISSAUGA/Ontario/19_10717860_/

Ben

318Stroker

No bench on 72-74 E-bodies. Buckets only. The column auto was standard. Floor shift/console optional.

7212Mopar

That looks like my car in high school except the white vinyl top, AC and shifter console. $20k seems high for a 318.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket