Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

ec_co

I like '71s, but IMO price is close, but a little high. doesn't mention any bodywork at all and we all know its tough to get AMC parts, there are no repops. the paint job was a BAD BAD job, look closely at the engine compartment and that tells me a lot. no care in how/what was sprayed, so probably shoddy bodywork and quarter panels filled with bondo. the interior is a bit shot and needs a lot of love.   :alan2cents:
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Brads70

I'm wanting to build a clone/tribute car of Mark Donohue's trans am race car ( street car) car so paint quality is a non issue. Solid body is what I'm wanting. I'm planning on stripping it down and going on a rotisserie.   I've researched about parts and your right they don't exist, tail lights for example  IF you can find them go for crazy money .I agree dash is hacked up? Planning a manual transmission..... I have an extra pair of Hyundia seats like I used in my Challenger.... :thinking: Motor would do for now if it's good....  Rear end I'd likely just get another Dana from Cass.... :thinking:
I have the cash sitting here , sticking point is the wife. The Challenger almost caused a divorce when I bought it.... :))

Roadman

Quote from: blown motor on August 03, 2017, 04:40:59 PM
Cinnamon buns Brad! Buy her cinnamon buns!

:iagree:  and chocolate, and roses.   :bradsthumb:   brads thumb

ec_co

if the body turns out solid than its not a bad buy, I'd still try to get him down to $6k. but solid usable parts are worth a lot, especially if the plan is to do a Donohue clone (which would be seriously kick ass IMO).

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Brads70

Quote from: Roadman on August 03, 2017, 05:25:33 PM
Quote from: blown motor on August 03, 2017, 04:40:59 PM
Cinnamon buns Brad! Buy her cinnamon buns!

:iagree:  and chocolate, and roses.   :bradsthumb:   brads thumb

:rofl:  I JUST came home from the store for a few groceries.... and chocolate!  :D

Cudajason

Quote from: ec_co on August 03, 2017, 04:57:50 PM
I like '71s, but IMO price is close, but a little high. doesn't mention any bodywork at all and we all know its tough to get AMC parts, there are no repops. the paint job was a BAD BAD job, look closely at the engine compartment and that tells me a lot. no care in how/what was sprayed, so probably shoddy bodywork and quarter panels filled with bondo. the interior is a bit shot and needs a lot of love.   :alan2cents:

This is really good advice.  good eye. 

The price does not seem bad, not that I have been looking.  The other thing you have to consider is how often do these come up.  If I had the money I would be having a look at that car.

From the pics and it is really hard to tell from the pics, in addition to @ec_co 's comments I would be looking at that passage side door...it could just be the pic, but that gap looks really bad.  Could indicate something worse.

I am also troubled by the one and only hood spring..is that normal??

Good luck!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

Quote from: ec_co on August 03, 2017, 05:28:42 PM
if the body turns out solid than its not a bad buy, I'd still try to get him down to $6k. but solid usable parts are worth a lot, especially if the plan is to do a Donohue clone (which would be seriously kick ass IMO).

Keep in mind this is Canadian funds 7k is $5568.59 USD

ec_co

haha, didn't think about that. in that case, not bad if the body is good

nsmall

Brad, you don't want a divorce.  It will cost more that $7000.  Rotisserie?  Dana from Cass? Hard to find parts?  Totally unknown metal work? 

You were the first Ebody buddy I made so I like you.  Yes I'm no car expert, but I know they are big $$$$ to restore.

If you were buying this car to simply have fun.... I think it's an awesome idea.  Restoring this car all the way seems pretty crazy to me.  But that's just one opinion.  It's not all about money, but these AMCs don't bring back the g's, they don't bring you back the dinero if you have to sell amigo.  Then again you seem like you don't care so much about resell and just like to have fun.

Good luck.  Keep us posted. 

Neil

Chryco Psycho

I would think a driving complete car has to be worth that , it will cost a fortune ust for a few parts , you could probably part it out for more !
The kickers is making sure the body is solid .
What can I say about divorce you need a hobby the other car is basically done . this is what you & I were meant to do .
I can think of a lot of thing I could or should have that might have prevented my situation but it was not a good situation , divorce costs more than anything I could have done instead for sure .
If you can find a way to move forward without hurting the family I would do it . otherwise you will go nuts will nothing to build , I am !  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

Maybe you could at least build something you can sell for more $$ to stay occupied rather than building another keeper ?

Marc70challenger

Life's short. Take a look in person. You know cars. And what to look for. Go with what your gut says.

Unless it's rotting apart. That's not bad price. There's a lot you can fab. Take your time and make it a long term project. That's really the fun part. ;).

And it's different. Javelins are cool rides.  https://youtu.be/TUfe5fxvfDU  Lol.

nsmall

That youtube videos was a real treat.  I liked how the car was a driver too.