Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

700 AKN

Hey Brad.   I'm not the best person for knowing what to look for under a car, but If you want someone to go take a look I'm not very far away from this location.
It looks like there is a lift in the shop so I could take better pictures from underneath and also try a test drive to see how strait it drives down the road.  I could ask a few questions that you want answered and find out what I can on it's history.

Let me know what your wishes are and I could go as soon as this Saturday.
Like other have said, I do not want to create waves if your treading water with your wife.
It's best to let it go if your not both on the same page.

:handshake:

Brads70

Quote from: 700 AKN on August 03, 2017, 10:29:48 PM

Hey Brad.   I'm not the best person for knowing what to look for under a car, but If you want someone to go take a look I'm not very far away from this location.
It looks like there is a lift in the shop so I could take better pictures from underneath and also try a test drive to see how strait it drives down the road.  I could ask a few questions that you want answered and find out what I can on it's history.

Let me know what your wishes are and I could go as soon as this Saturday.
Like other have said, I do not want to create waves if your treading water with your wife.
It's best to let it go if your not both on the same page.

:handshake:

Thanks, I might take you up on that !   I'm thinking about going today maybe?  Still working on the wife.... LOL

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

I just called about it..... sounds like a good fit!  :thinking:

Might be going for a drive today.... not sure yet

RUNCHARGER

Those are neat cars and I like your vision for it.
Sheldon

Slotts

Hey Brad,

My first thought, like others have already mentioned, is what the availability the parts are for a car like this. I have no idea what the market is out there for parts on an AMC?  :notsure:
I never heard of an AMC parts dealer.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

anlauto

For what Brad has in mind...I don't think he'll need a lot of factory original parts....most parts will be harder to find, but most likely cheaper than Mopar parts...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Brads70

Quote from: Slotts on August 04, 2017, 09:07:45 AM
Hey Brad,

My first thought, like others have already mentioned, is what the availability the parts are for a car like this. I have no idea what the market is out there for parts on an AMC?  :notsure:
I never heard of an AMC parts dealer.

Jim
Hi Jim,
There is very little in the way of trim parts, body panels, etc,( nos stuff is rare and crazy expensive. I've been looking into parts for this car for a couple years now) mechanical stuff like engines, transmission parts etc... are no problem. Buying a car with all the hard to find trim parts is key for what I want to do with it. I have no intention of a numbers matching type of restoration, just a fun driver .  With this car I'd clean up the dash, new carpet, add my other Hyundai seats and drive it. Ian might loose his rims and tires though!  :D  Then do the wheel well mods like the race car and paint and decal it up, lower it some....  manual transmission down the road... You know me.... can't leave anything " stock" !  :no:

Chryco Psycho

well if it is complete & solid it would make sense to grab it

HP_Cuda

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Although divorce could be costlier!

:haha:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

700 AKN

If you do decide to take the long drive down from Barrie please let me know.
I'd be curious to see the car and how things turn out.  If you need any help just let me know.

:bradsthumb:

Brads70

Well after 6 hours of driving I'm undecided. He is asking 7k and after seeing it in person now way is it worth that. Interior is roasted. He actually cut a hole in a good dash pad to mount a stereo ....IN THE PASSENGER side??? Like you couldn't reach it from the driver seat!  :Thud:Needs exhaust, just has scabby tubing with two mufflers that end at the rear end.  Floors have some area's that could be fixed with a patch. I could do that myself no biggie. But it has the wrong grill , no biggie as I was planning on the AMX mesh screen grill
( likely make that too)  It has a 9" Ford rear end which to some is a minus but to me I could work with that. I've used them many time, actually I'd prefer it over the AMC rear end. Engine seems to run strong, that's a plus, never did drive it though . The paint is horrendous , looks like he used a shop vac to paint it with.  :rofl: That also is no biggie as I had planned on stripping it all off anyhow. Firewall and under hood area is super solid. The big ticket items .... the rear tail lights are what you would expect for a 47 year old car, one is cracked but the rest has spider cracking which I'd expect for the age. Bottom line is I'd HAVE to have new tail lights and they are not repopped  so big bucks IF you can find them. I highly doubt I'd find a car with really nice tail lights anyhow just due to age.
Rims and tires are junk, well junk to me anyhow but I already have rims and tires to go on it.  Body panels seemed pretty solid, fenders were great. Rear quarters ( wheelwells) did have some bondo so I'm sure they will need a patch or two. But then again I had planned on cutting the wheel opening to match the race car and lowering it. Glass all seemed ok. Passenger side door needed adjustment. Owner pointed that out. He showed me pictures of how he bought it ( in primmer) Original owner had passed away, so I can see he is trying to give it a quick spray of paint , get it running and flip it. He said he has 4500 into it. I very nicely pointed out why it's not worth 7 K and he understood. Said well make me an offer then? I siad not trying to insult you but I'd say 4 k maybe 4500. He said he would take it. I was shocked, I figured that would be the end of our conversation. He said he would even deliver it all the way up to Barrie for me for that.  I back peddled and said I would think about it on the way home....  He tahn said he had someone else comming to look at it offering 5k certified. No way this car will certify for a safety!  :rofl: ( its a project car!) I said well if someone comes with 5k take it, other wise call me if you still have it as I need to think about it more.
So that way my day.... :D
Nice country out that way, never been over there before! Sorry @700 AKN   I was really pressed for time as the wife made dinner plans with friends tonight. Didn't want to rock the boat so to speak!  :stop:

RUNCHARGER

Sounds like it is worth $4500 alright, just have to decide if you want to commit to what it needs. Good situation, let him sweat it out.
Sheldon

Brads70

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on August 05, 2017, 02:04:21 PM
Sounds like it is worth $4500 alright, just have to decide if you want to commit to what it needs. Good situation, let him sweat it out.

Ya that's only $3550 USD !  :rofl:

Funny if this an E-Body or a 70 RR or GTX or 68-70 Charger a split second of thinking would be all that's required but a lowly Javelin.... :crazytalk:

soundcontrol

Everytime I get a car, my wife gets another dog...
Tell her it comes with a puppy  :D