Main Menu

What do you think guys.... 71 AMC Javelin....

Started by Brads70, August 03, 2017, 04:14:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

I haven't updated this in awhile. Things are progressing. I have finished the exhaust run all the fuel lines, brake lines. It was nice to finally get it down off the jackstands. (after a couple years I think?)
Today I finished off the A/C my mounting the dryer and making up the lines. I like that it will be hidden once I'm done . I also got the plugs and wires installed, as well as made power steering lines. So easy with stock car parts.... I also drilled the holes and bolted in the " Monte-Carlo" bar.
While under the car I noticed a soft spot in the front frame where it meets the floor. I kept the parts car front clip , so I cut it apart to see what was inside. They have a double welded arear there that traps moisture with no place to go. So it was a pretty quick job with the plasma cutter. I fitted in a new piece , welded it in then made a cap to go over it all . I doubt it will rust thru in my lifetime again. Some day I'll do the same to the other side so they look symmetrical but it was very solid and not necessary so I decided to leave it for another day. I'm trying to focus on getting it running, pretty stuff can wait till later. 

Brads70

I'm happy with how the exhaust turned out. I can't wait to fire it up and see how it sounds!
I also made brackets to mount the Audi console. It fits great!
Rewiring the whole car is next, not something I'm looking forward to as electrical is not my strong point.
I think this car has just as many Dodge parts on it as it does AMC now. I find I'm using up a lot of parts I've had hanging around for years!
71 Cuda Dana 60
Rear drum brakes and parking brake cables left over form the Challenger
Replaced all the AMC ball joints with Dodge screw in ball joints
Engine fan from the Challenger
Pistol grip shifter ( Thanks again Alan!)

jimynick

Comin' along and lookin' good Brad! I was watching YouTube and there's a site called Coldwar Motors, that has nothing to do with war. They're a bunch of zanies in Alberta who're right into old cars and thrashing them back to life. Well worth a look- and when you do, look for the segment where they go over to one of their rich buddies who in addition to many other nice car, recently bought a 70 Mark Donohue edition at one of the big sales in the US and they give it a pretty good looking over. It's a beauty and I'm sure you'd love it. Keep on rockin' Brad, you're getting pretty close!
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70rag383

Your car is looking great. Is the plan to run your T/A against the Javelin in an SCCA-like rod course? That would be cool.

YellowThumper

Great build to watch progress.
Tastefully executed.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Brads70

With the Challenger away at the paint shop I found myself with an empty garage for the first time in 27 years. Yesterday and today I puttered around and modified the hood for cowl induction. Plasma cutter came in handy! It made quick work of cutting out the opening for the stainless screening.  Just used BBQ paint on the new aluminum insert I made. Cheap and easy!

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.