Main Menu

What do you think it is worth.

Started by js27, January 22, 2020, 09:04:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

js27

I am still thinking about buying this car. It is a 1969 Dart GTS 340-auto on the column. Triple Black. Numbers matching motor and trans-fender tag--still waiting for a copy of the build sheet and title. Bucket seats-Power Steering-Power Disc Brakes-Air Conditioning-All tinted glass-Stripe Delete. Has rally's on it now but not sure if they are original. Has original paint. The vinyl top is baked off and the top of the car has surface rust. Frame-floors-trunk all solid. Brought a magnet with me and couldn't find any bondo. The car is a apart including the dash. You know the story--I am going fix her up one day a so I tore her apart and 30 years later she still sits. It needs a total restoration which I know will be very expensive but not looking to flip it as we discuss in another thread. Just curious what you all think is a fair price. Do you think the Auto on the column will hurt the value ? Looks like it was built on April Fools Day !!
JS27

anlauto

I don't follow A Bodies whatsoever, but I would think $10K-$15K  :dunno: Triple black very cool, column auto not so cool  ::)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Assuming everything there and no quarters or floor metal needed $10k or so. Really good options and the column auto would be a conversation starter.
Sheldon

packnsix

I really like that car but just a quick overview I see a $7,000 car.

Pluses
Black
Matching numbers
Relatively solid

Negatives
Auto on Column
Partially in pieces= missing pieces

anlauto

I think placement in the universe plays a role in the value, you would never find anything like that around here in Canada  :crying: :canada:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Rich G.

Restoring a car that needs everything depending on how extensive you're going to do it will definitely cost more then it's worth even doing all the work yourself. But that's going to be that way with most cars these days with the cost of parts now. Forgetting that I would make sure all the parts are there since it's all apart because that will skyrocket the restoration cost! 4 speeds always bring more money but that wouldn't stop me from buying it. My guess would be 5K or less only because i don't think anyone is selling anything cheap these days. The good old days that would be $500.00

anlauto

Wow...we couldn't even buy a 69 340 engine for $500 :o that would be an awesome deal... :)

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

JS29

Considering everything has gone up X10, that would make that $500.00 dollar car $5000.00.  :alan2cents:

Katfish

What would this car bring completely done?
I say take that price and divide by at least 6-7, maybe 10 if 90% of the pieces aren't there.

If worth $75k at auction, then $7.5k

js27

I am pretty sure all the major pieces are there. Nuts and bolts-probably not so much. I am pricing out parts for the restoration and it is scary.Looking at $ 2,100.00 just for interior and vinyl top-parts only no installation. Bumpers are almost $400.00 a piece. The Chrome inserts for the hood are $ 587.00 and another 160.00 for the 340 inserts. Tail lights and Bezels are like $ 400.00. Adds up FAST--LOL
JS27

Rich G.

Don't forget the 3K for paint supplies and 2k to rebuild the engine, 1K for exhaust 1K for them damn Polyglass tires! I got 30K + into my 20K estimated guess on the restoration I'm doing now.  No stopping at this point. LOL And that's starting at a 5K project car.

Katfish

There you go, 5k x 10 = 50k

The cheaper the car, the more it will cost to finish.
Always better to buy the most complete car you can afford.

I paid 3k for my car 20 years ago, now have $30k into it and it's just a POS driver.

js27

Quote from: Rich G. on January 22, 2020, 01:40:09 PM
Don't forget the 3K for paint supplies and 2k to rebuild the engine, 1K for exhaust 1K for them damn Polyglass tires! I got 30K + into my 20K estimated guess on the restoration I'm doing now.  No stopping at this point. LOL And that's starting at a 5K project car.

Oh I haven't forgot about them-I just haven't got around to getting estimates on that stuff yet.
JS27

72 Challenger

The answer I believe in somewhere in the 6-10k range.

A lot of people have input into "is this a good investment" but I don't necessarily think of it that way. I am in every way a budgeting nerd but when considering you are doing this as a hobby it's okay to not make back every penny. How much money do people who play golf, compete in dog shows, going camping, fishing etc. "lose" per year just by doing their hobby? Should thsoe people stop doing that just because it is not making them money? Why does that have to be the justification for the car hobby? The car will have a value after, it may be less than what the restoration is but if it's only 10k and your budget can handle that, consider that 10k the cost of having this hobby. Say the restoration takes 4 years - what's 2500 bucks a year when you compare it to most other hobbies?

Not a golden rule for everyone - me included, but if you can afford it, why not.
Someday I will have a J0b.