Main Menu

WIW: 1970 Complete Front Disc Brakes w/ Spindles

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, March 02, 2023, 11:16:58 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

HI all, another question of how much I should expect to pay for the following parts.  This is my last purchase for a while, and sort of the last large thing I need to get the car back to original equipment.  My June 1970 V code 'Cuda has a Wilwood disc brake conversion and I want to put everything back stock including spindles out.  I have a line locally on  what looks to be a good find - basically a complete left and right assembly to drop on the ball joints ready to go.  No left hand thread studs though.  I just do not want to be taken advantage of and wondering what a fair price is - not looking to be cheap, but do not want to get ripped off either

Here is what I have found:
1970 Spindles
Correct big mouth calipers, already restored
NOS 2 piece brake discs
Hubs, Brackets, Studs, bearings, clips, etc....

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

Personally I would sat $1500 tops :dunno:

You might find someone to swap you their stock stuff for your Wilwoods ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70_440-6Cuda

Thats around where I was thinking -he's asking a bit more, but my understanding is the correct calipers are hard to find?  Are the 2 piece discs generally available?

It is one of those things where if the parts are harder to come by it may be worth colleting everything in one go.  I will try to sell the Wilwood set up down the road but I am not sure how old it is and if it is very desireable

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

anlauto

YES, the rotors and calipers are the money shot, everything else is pretty common....It might be worth stepping up to get it all in one shot  :slapme5:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70_440-6Cuda

Rotors are NOs in the boxes; calipers have already been redone so that is a plus.

benguin

The calipers show up from time to time, but even those are getting tougher to find.  I'm still looking for a driver side to show up at a price I can stomach.

I can't recall seeing any NOS 2-piece rotors showing up for sale.  I've saved old ones that are salvageable "just in case".  If it's not too much out of Alan's estimate, might be worth the time savings vs hunting down the individual parts (including the correct caliper brackets and bolts for everything).

70_440-6Cuda

@benguin he is asking closer to the $2K mark, but again, getting everything in 1 shot seems to be the way to go. Plus, depending on if the spindles and everything else is already restore / rebuilt seems a reasonable enough price.  I just dont want to pay 50% more than its worth - but as the saying goes a bird in the hand......

benguin

Agree- with freshly rebuilt calipers, the NOS rotors, and presuming the spindles, caliper brackets and hardware are all in good shape there is a good argument to be made for them.  Any other parts you could add into the package deal that you might need?

70_440-6Cuda

Going to go this route I think - easier than hunting down everything individually I think....and now that you mention it I may store the rotors and put a set of replacements on as a driver....

anlauto

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: So you've been trying to find the best parts for your car, only original will do, no reproduction crap....but when you find correct rotors, you don't want to use them ????  :foul: :haha: :haha: :haha:

70_440-6Cuda

@anlauto touche!   Valid point.... Who knows?  I am so far from needing to make that decision it's is pretty comical

I am still a work in progress on this ebody bandwagon...my OCD gets the better of me some times  :rofl:

Skdmark

Are spindles and two-piece rotors from a 71 or 72 different than 70?
If not, are they any less valuable than a 70?
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Brads70

Quote from: Skdmark on March 03, 2023, 12:49:09 PM
Are spindles and two-piece rotors from a 71 or 72 different than 70?
If not, are they any less valuable than a 70?

Yes bearing size changed, 70 rotors are a 2 piece design. As for more valuable? Not to me as the rotors are cheaper and bigger bearings are always a plus but I guess to someone else in the restoration crowd...?

Skdmark

The 2-piece rotors were used through 1972 along with the smaller bearing version of the spindles.

Other than the LH stud difference on a 70, I wasn't sure if there were other changes to the 2-piece rotors.
For the spindles I wasn't sure if there were any specific differences from 70 to a 71 or 72 - like the caliper brackets.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

cuda hunter

Quote from: benguin on March 02, 2023, 07:02:48 PM
Agree- with freshly rebuilt calipers, the NOS rotors, and presuming the spindles, caliper brackets and hardware are all in good shape there is a good argument to be made for them.  Any other parts you could add into the package deal that you might need?

Buy em. What's 500 bucks?    Your rebuilding an OE V code. 

Or pass the lead on to someone else here that can use them. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee