Main Menu

WIW? 1970 Cuda AAR 340+6 B5 Blue Auto

Started by Cuda Cody, June 25, 2017, 04:01:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda Cody

Last year I went and looked at a 1 owner 1970 AAR Cuda.  Her and her first husband bought it brand new.  He passed away several years back.  She remarried and kept the car for a long time.... but now they were thinking of selling the car.  It was repainted in the 80's, but they taped around the stripes and the Organosol is still original.  It's an Auto on the floor and they have the original sale agreement and window sticker (plus some other rare documents including their first speeding ticking in 73).  I saw a build sheet behind the radio.  There is damage to the front right fender where they hit a deer.  Some rust, but not a rust bucket.  This is not what anyone will call an original survivor car, but this is not a car that's been messed with a bunch either.  When they were thinking of selling last year they wanted $60K.  I looked the car over and thought that was to much.

Fast forward to last Wednesday and I'm chatting with a buddy at the car show when that AAR came up.  I said I would call them and see what ended up happening with it.  But when I got home I couldn't find their number.  So today my wife and I are cruising around and decided to see if we could find their house.  I was pretty sure I could remember once I got close.  And sure enough we found them.  I knocked on the door and her 2nd Husband answered it.  I introduced myself and he remembered me.  I asked if they still had the AAR and he said yes, but his wife just pasted away last week.  I was so sorry to hear that and apologized for my timing.  He said they are now going to do anything right now, but the AAR will most likely be for sale in the future. 

Regardless if I buy it or someone else, I would like to be honest with them and tell them what a fair price is.  They know they did not get any takers at $60K last year so I think he's ready to listen what it is really worth. It runs and drives.   What's everyone thoughts?

Cuda Cody

More  :takepicture: 

ec_co

wow, tough one. sometimes timing is everything and while it sucks to 'just happen to drop by the week after she passed' on luck, I personally see it as fate knocking on both your doors and maybe the wife knows you are the man to have it and put a bug in your ear.

if I had an AAR, that would be the color combo I would want (or a TX9) personally. unfortunately it's a weird position AAR. almost nice enough to drive as is (with a few little fixes), but needs a resto to do it right. just my personal thoughts - $25-35k depending on how the rusties look.
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

Chryco Psycho

70vcodecuda

how do you find these cars :clapping:
I'll take all I could get for 25K, I think more like 35K to 40K. 50K for a proper restoration and sell for 80K.
that's how this hobby works :cheers:

Convertcuda

Cody do you remember the date the car was made on door tag or fender tag?

Thanks Ken

Spikedog08

Quote from: 70vcodecuda on June 25, 2017, 04:58:15 PM
how do you find these cars :clapping:
I'll take all I could get for 25K, I think more like 35K to 40K. 50K for a proper restoration and sell for 80K.
that's how this hobby works :cheers:

Hmmm I'm not in this hobby to make a quick dollar . . I would want to keep it!  Go ahead and sell it when I'm dead and gone . .  :dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

RUNCHARGER

Oh man! First gut reaction is $35k as well.
Sheldon

hato

:haha: at $25k am mortgaging off the wife and bashing anyone in my way like a baby seal
30-45k is prolly the tops at this point and I wouldn't feel bad spending 30-40k on it imo get it in long haul shape and drive to every event you can. The show field at carslie has plenty of  :1place: e body's it's nixw  having a roughie in the crowd
If it comes for sale next month let me know I may have to crack the piggy banks knee for this one

cudajunction

My first gut reaction price was $35,000 too. But agreed on how bad the rust raggots are.  I would be torn on just doing some minor stuff and keeping it as is, or going 100% resto.

$60,000 is a dream price, no way a sane person could pay that unless it was a "I have to have it" situation. 

RUNCHARGER

I hope whoever buys it has the skill to restore what's there rather than shotgunning other parts at it. For instance I would want to metal work the original fenders and mount them right back where they belong.
One thing doesn't add up though, first speeding ticket in 1973? No way.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Appreciate the help everyone.  $35k does seem like a fair number on it.  My little cheat book has it at $31,500, but I think this car has a little more going for it being a 1 owner and all the numbers and documents are there.  But it is an Auto and there is some rust.  Going over $40k would be very hard to do.

Cuda Cody

@Convertcuda   Yes, I have photos of the window sticker, fender tag and door mylar.  March 20th.

Quote from: Convertcuda on June 25, 2017, 05:33:07 PM
Cody do you remember the date the car was made on door tag or fender tag?

Thanks Ken

1 Wild R/T

Pretty sure thats a car @ cuda dad  considered before picking up his FE5 4Spd AAR

Convertcuda

Thanks Cody! Im still trying to do a little research on my space save spare date code and jack mask date code. Did  you by chance see the date code on jack and space saver for reference?

Thanks Ken