Main Menu

WIW 1973 Challenger

Started by 72and86, June 18, 2018, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

Seller writes:
Sold as "1973 challenger se" : He says has ralley package.
"1973 dodge challenger numbers matching 340,auto slapstick,8 3/4 3.23, originally yellow now is driver quality prowler purple.
engine has new pistons,rings bearings, cam bearings,timing chain,comp cam, aluminum heads,less than 150 miles since
installed, all new brake lines, new torque converter, new tires, has front disc brakes, factory rally dash, this was an a/c car do have pump and all brackets did not reinstall. 61,942 miles,"

Opinions? Feedback? I don't know much about Challengers, I know little about Barracudas. He wants $23K.

JS29

That ralley cluster is NOT original to that car, There was NO S/E in 1973. kind of makes one wonder what else is miss informed about it?   :foul:

Cuda Cody

Rallye gauges are not originals.  Car doesn't look bad, but he might be a bit high on the price. 

72and86

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 18, 2018, 08:24:16 AM
Rallye gauges are not originals.  Car doesn't look bad, but he might be a bit high on the price.

Sooooo odometer could be incorrect?

bennydodge

No A57 code on the fender tag=no rallye package. Tachometer is certainly wrong, 8,000 RPM models were not used after 1971 I believe. Factory yellow car but a non-rallye 340, pretty cool car.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

RUNCHARGER

It's hard to tell the true condition. It could be full of bondo and patches, or not.
A personal inspection is in order on this one for sure.
If the car checked out pretty good and it was painted the original yellow I would say the price would be in the ballpark. With the non-original colour change It is in the teens somewhere (yes I realize the teens is a big place).
Sheldon

Burdar

Non Rallye 340 car.  It would have come with the scooped hood standard.  Unless the rallye gauges were ordered, it would have come with standard gauges.  Mileage on this one isn't correct since the cluster has been swapped.  I don't know if that really matters any more though. 

I don't know how to price these things any more.  It seems like people are asking big money for less that stellar cars.  People are willing to pay higher money for "drivers" but REALLY NICE SHOW QUALITY 72-74's don't sell for much/any more.   :dunno:

anlauto

Here's what I'm thinking and it unfortunate but I think it's probably worth close to his asking price...and here's why....

You could NOT buy a project car and get it to this level for his asking price.

It's all one colour, it's got a good motor, I assume the rest of the mechanicals are good, safe and road worthy, good tires....the interior is clean and decent although funky looking.....

The owner has personalized it to his taste....if it's your taste too, then you're all set....buy today-drive tonight :burnout: what more could you ask for....

Keep in mind when doing this....Building a car vs buying one done is always cheaper, and always a risk.....This thing could be a bondoed turd under that shiny paint...the motor could have been built by idiots....who knows :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

quapman

Hard to tell if that's N85 or N95 on the tag. If it's N85, then it's an original rallye gauge car. No A57, so not a Rallye package car. Totally legit in 73. If your 7k tach was beat and you were going to buy a new one, would you go back to 7 when 8 is the same price? Pictograms didn't come out until late 73 on the dash, but this is an August build, so...

DodgeGuy

To each his/her own, but that color IMHO =  :barf:
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed

72and86

Quote from: quapman on June 18, 2018, 09:58:43 AM
Hard to tell if that's N85 or N95 on the tag. If it's N85, then it's an original rallye gauge car. No A57, so not a Rallye package car. Totally legit in 73. If your 7k tach was beat and you were going to buy a new one, would you go back to 7 when 8 is the same price? Pictograms didn't come out until late 73 on the dash, but this is an August build, so...

Asking seller to clarify N85 /95 and A57...

72and86

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 18, 2018, 09:07:04 AM
It's hard to tell the true condition. It could be full of bondo and patches, or not.
A personal inspection is in order on this one for sure.
If the car checked out pretty good and it was painted the original yellow I would say the price would be in the ballpark. With the non-original colour change It is in the teens somewhere (yes I realize the teens is a big place).

Please direct me to 73 Challenger equivalent to this nice condition and with AC (although disconnected) for teens. I will buy it. Seriously. I see garbage for teens prices.

72and86

Quote from: anlauto on June 18, 2018, 09:57:22 AM
Here's what I'm thinking and it unfortunate but I think it's probably worth close to his asking price...and here's why....

It's all one colour, it's got a good motor, I assume the rest of the mechanicals are good, safe and road worthy, good tires....the interior is clean and decent although funky looking.....

The owner has personalized it to his taste....if it's your taste too, then you're all set....buy today-drive tonight :burnout: what more could you ask for....

Keep in mind when doing this....Building a car vs buying one done is always cheaper, and always a risk.....This thing could be a bondoed turd under that shiny paint...the motor could have been built by idiots....who knows :dunno:

I agree. I see nothing for teens close to this condition, Rally or not...

anlauto

Your buying a "modified" car so....A57 N95 N85........None of that really matters....it is what it is.....A decent clean ready to go driver and I don't think you'll find much else out there in the "teens" .....and is the "teens" really that far off the guy's ASKING price :takemymoney:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

DodgeGuy

Quote from: 72and86 on June 18, 2018, 11:24:38 AM
Quote from: anlauto on June 18, 2018, 09:57:22 AM

I agree. I see nothing for teens close to this condition, Rally or not...

FWIW, and it's probably worth next to nothing, but in any event, I agree that ASSUMING the body is as solid as it looks in the pics, and all the listed stuff is true, well IMHO I thought that was a pretty solid price.  I went through the same search you're going through now last fall, and remember what that was like price-wise.

I would agree that finding something as earlier described priced in the teens would seemingly be impossible in the current market, and that's all you can go by.  "What a vehicle should be worth" is irrelevant.  All that is relevant price-wise is what the current market is, so you either have to deal with that, or shut down your search for a length of time hoping for the market to go down (and quite potentially risk the market prices rising, as these cars aren't getting any younger!!)
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed