Main Menu

WIW NOS Mopar battery

Started by JH27N0B, August 04, 2018, 08:19:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

Sorry I don't have exact details yet, but I'm trying to get some general ideas of values on a battery a guy at a cruise tonight said he has.
He has a Mopar battery from the 70s.  Says a old lady in his neighborhood gave it to him years ago, a dealer had sold it to her but she never had acid added to it or charged and installed.
He can't remember what color the caps are.  I said they can be red, yellow or green and he said he doesn't remember but they aren't green.
He is going to call me, I hope.  So I'm wondering if it's a red cap group 27 or yellow cap 24, NOS from the 70s, what a general idea of value would be?

Cuda Cody

I've never seen an NOS battery that old.  Would it still be usable?  :notsure:

RUNCHARGER

Not so sure you could buy an assembly line style battery over the counter.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

Will be interesting to find out what he has, if he calls me.  Looking at the red cap "topper" on my convertible tonight is what sparked the conversation.  He has an NOS Mopar battery of some sort with round caps that my fake battery reminded him of.
I bought a new Mopar battery in the early to mid 80s, and it had 2 caps, which each covered 3 cells.  Similar to the Die Hards of the era where me and my clever friends who had Die Hards in our cars would swap the 2 caps so our batteries would read "Hard Die". :))
If not assembly line, I wonder what an over the counter 70s Mopar battery with 6 caps would look like.

RUNCHARGER

They might have been the same I'm not sure. I know here in Canada they sold "Autopar" batteries over the counter which were totally different. Autopar was Chrysler Canada's parts division. The U.S. was different though.
Sheldon