Main Menu

10 inch brake drum adjuster arm pivot pin

Started by culp71, May 10, 2018, 08:12:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

culp71

how do you guys mount the small pivot pins in the brake shoes?
(the pivot for the adjuster arm)

I put in two that were copper colored, and soft, I pressed them into the shoe, then used a small punch in the press as there was a hole in the back of the pin and flared out the back.

however two of the 4 sets of hardware I received have black pins, that seem a lot harder and have no hole in the back.
thoughts on how to mount these into the shoes?
weld maybe? press in and chisel the edges?
anyone make a version that has groove and clip?
just drill a hole and put a small pin through the end?

https://www.partsgeek.com/fqy7g65-plymouth-barracuda-drum-brake-adjusting-lever-pin.html

Burdar

They are just a press fit.  I've only seen the steel pins.  I always just pound them into the shoe with a hammer.  They won't come back out on their own.  You're over thinking it.  :alan2cents:

anlauto

I'm doing rear brakes this morning...........Every set of shoes I've bought in the last ten years has already had the pin installed  :dunno: , but otherwise just press it in, it's not going anywhere  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

Bought Bendix for my 10" rear brakes
This brand usually had the pin already installed.
What brake brand did you buy?
Just my thoughts.

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Rich G.

I just open my bench vice a little bigger then the hole. Hold the shoe on the vice and hammer it in so you're supporting the part of the shoe your putting the pin in. Make sure you put it in the right shoe in the right side!

culp71

Brand is Centric, so I just pressed in the rear "black" solid pins, did not weld or "pin" ,I  installed all the brakes, lines, hoses, block, etc and all work correct. :banana: