Main Menu

15"x 7" Rallye 2944390 Trim Ring I.D.

Started by 76orangewagon, March 16, 2017, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

I have a matching date coded set of 15"X7" Rallye 2944390 wheels I installed back in 1990 that I took off a 1970 AAR 'Cuda, the center caps are also OEM. The trim rings do not look to be correct to me because of the Black mounting tabs, they were on the car with the wheels prior to 1990 and look like they are the correct depth but from Google searches don't look to be original. Can someone help me Identify them. I'm going to sell the complete matching date coded set in the next couple weeks and do want to falsely advertise them as being 100% original if they are not. FYI... I painted the center caps back in 1990 to resemble the correct 1971 dark argent cap. Thank you for all the help in advance
Ross

Cuda Cody

Do you have a photo of the face of the trim rings?  The grooves can help identify them.  :alan2cents:

6bblgt

correct - that is not an original 15x7.0" trim ring - how tall/deep is it?

the wheels probably are not originally from the AAR 'cuda with 12/8/69 dates on them

76orangewagon

I do not have a close up of the trim ring on my work computer but here they are on the car. I can check my personal computer tonight to see if I have a closer picture.

76orangewagon

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 16, 2017, 11:17:00 AM
correct - that is not an original 15x7.0" trim ring - how tall/deep is it?

the wheels probably are not originally from the AAR 'cuda with 12/8/69 dates on them

I assumed they were the original AAR equipment since they were on the car back in 1990 and looked like they had been there for a while. Even if there not at least they are the same date code on all four wheels and there in great shape with no pitting. I can measure the trim rings depth tonight but they are tight against the wheels and have to be dated before 1990.

6bblgt

those look like the Wheel Vintiques 15x7.0" trim rings

76orangewagon

Quote from: 6bblgt on March 16, 2017, 11:34:39 AM
those look like the Wheel Vintiques 15x7.0" trim rings

Possibly....ae long as they made them back then. Well as long as I know they are defiantly not Ma Mopar, I can advertise the complete wheel package that way. I see more a lot more factory trim rings for sale than I do a set of 2944390 wheels with the same date. Here is a picture of the car with them on that I took in 1990

6bblgt

IMO the profile of the polished lip is the biggest "flaw" of the Wheel Vintiques trim ring - drawing is quick & crude, but I think it will illustrate the difference

RUNCHARGER

Those are wrong for sure. Real 15X7 rings are fairly hard to find.
Sheldon

76orangewagon

Even though we have determined that they are aftermarket trim rings here are a couple close up photos I took today to answer a few questions.

6bblgt

those look pretty good up close  - the black retaining ring on the backside still says "reproduction", but who's ??

my 15x7.0" originals face down measured vertically are right at 3.0"

In 1990, Koller Dodge was still advertising the 15x6.5" versions new & IIRC Mopar Performance had new (non-390) 15x7.0" Rallye Wheels available  :thinking: wonder if they had trim rings available also?

76orangewagon

I remember these were on the car when I looked at it down in Ft Lauderdale, FL back in 1989 prior to buying it, so there definitely old repro's.