Main Menu

17x9 front/rear

Started by dave73, December 10, 2019, 08:04:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Anyone here running 17x9 with 5" bs front and rear with a stock 8-3/4 and lowered front? I'm running a full hotchkis tvs setup and looking at 17" cragar d window wheels

dave73

shawge

17x9 w/ 5" bs is the same as the YO wheels, should fit ok w/ stock setup.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

dodj

Quote from: dave73 on December 10, 2019, 08:04:08 PM
Anyone here running 17x9 with 5" bs front and rear with a stock 8-3/4 and lowered front? I'm running a full hotchkis tvs setup and looking at 17" cragar d window wheels
I am running 17x9 with 5" BS on the front - 255's. No problems at all. Pretty sure it would be fine on the rear but can't 100% confirm that for you.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

FSHTAIL

Any pictures?

I'm looking for a much tire as I can get all around. 

Quote from: dodj on December 15, 2019, 02:11:16 PM
I am running 17x9 with 5" BS on the front - 255's. No problems at all. Pretty sure it would be fine on the rear but can't 100% confirm that for you.
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

MOPAR MITCH

Year One made them correct...17x9 with 275-40-17 tires will fit front and rear on our e-bodies without any problems.  Minor fender lip folding (front and rear) would be recommended IF you have a soft sprung suspension just to give a little peace of mind, but, there really shouldn't be any problem at all.

The key is the back-spacing of the rim... and Year One did it correctly.

dodj

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on March 05, 2020, 12:55:52 AM
Any pictures?

I have the tires off and preparing to swap in the QA1 k-member at the moment so no pics at the moment.
I believe @72bluNblu has fitted 275's under the nose of his Challenger  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

72bluNblu

Quote from: dodj on March 05, 2020, 08:56:17 PM
Quote from: Chris Pauluk on March 05, 2020, 12:55:52 AM
Any pictures?

I have the tires off and preparing to swap in the QA1 k-member at the moment so no pics at the moment.
I believe @72bluNblu has fitted 275's under the nose of his Challenger  :alan2cents:

In the front the 17x9's with a 5" backspace and 275/40/17's will be fine. On my Challenger I had to remove the fender brace at the middle of the wheel opening because the tires would occasionally rub there at full suspension compression and turning. Although at the time my header flanges were only 3.5" off the deck, so the car was pretty low. I actually raised it a bit from there as speed bumps were too much of a pain and the car was my daily.

In the back I run the same wheel and tire, but I have a 1" DoctorDiff offset kit and a 68-70 B body rear axle. I have a ton of space with that though. The only thing is that with an E-body 8 3/4 the wheels will be an extra 3/4" further out than with the B rear I have. So it will be pretty tight to the quarter with a 5" backspace. I have more than 1" clearance on my car so it's possible the 5" backspace will be ok with 275's depending on the body tolerances on your car. But you might have to roll the quarter lip. Or at least you should be prepared to do that if necessary. 5.25" backspace would probably be better, always better to have a little too much backspace than not enough as it's easy to correct with a small spacer vs having to move the quarter.

The math works, so basically it'll come down to body tolerances as we all know these cars aren't identical to each other.