Main Menu

18 X 9 front wheel

Started by rftroy, August 30, 2022, 03:24:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rftroy

Does anyone use an 18 X 9 - 5" bs wheel on the front of an E body, with stock front suspension?

I know Hotchkis uses 18 X 9 with an unknown backspace.  Dan from Hotchkis once posted that the backspace was, "in the area of 5.5 inches" but that was custom wheels and spacers.  They also use a large 275/35-18 on the front.  So, it can be made to fit, in some fashion.

I was thinking a 255/35ZR18 in the front.  The tire will be brought in 1" closer to the rails with this rim, but the diameter is 25.0" compared to the roughly stock 235/60-15 diameter of 26.1".

I have a bare rim that I will use to check clearances this weekend, as best I can without a tire, but real world experience is always helpful.

Thanks,
Robert
70 Challenger. On rotisserie. 505, Six Pack, 5SR A-855 5-speed, 3.55, B7 blue;
AAR, 4-speed, 3.91, Tor-Red;
70 440 6 pack Roadrunner, 4-speed, 3.54, Plum Crazy;
68 Formula S conv, 383, 4-speed, 3.23, Electric Blue;
69 Barracuda conv, Slant 6, OD4, 2.94, 71 B5 blue;
78 Lil' Red Truck, Red

shawge

Hi Robert,
Attached a screen shot of some of the data I collected while trying to figure out a wheel/tire combo.  This might be of some help?

The old Emax tire size is about as tall as your are thinking of going.

:alan2cents: A mock up suggestion:
Take some stiff bendable wire (I used an old metal clothes hanger) to the junkyard or tire store and make a profile of the tire. Bring these back home and transfer the shapes to cardboard, cut them out, and hot glue to the wheel.  Rotate the tire and check the potential interference points (front/rear rails, fender lips, fender brace for the tire, maybe upper A-arm and caliper depending on BS and brake combo for the wheel)

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

gzig5

Quote from: rftroy on August 30, 2022, 03:24:22 PM
Does anyone use an 18 X 9 - 5" bs wheel on the front of an E body, with stock front suspension?

I know Hotchkis uses 18 X 9 with an unknown backspace.  Dan from Hotchkis once posted that the backspace was, "in the area of 5.5 inches" but that was custom wheels and spacers.  They also use a large 275/35-18 on the front.  So, it can be made to fit, in some fashion.

I was thinking a 255/35ZR18 in the front.  The tire will be brought in 1" closer to the rails with this rim, but the diameter is 25.0" compared to the roughly stock 235/60-15 diameter of 26.1".

I have a bare rim that I will use to check clearances this weekend, as best I can without a tire, but real world experience is always helpful.

Thanks,
Robert

I've seen pics of 305 wide 18" tires on the front with stock suspension.  I think that was an 11" wheel.  Supposedly 315 is possible. Getting the offset right is the key. 
You shouldn't have any trouble fitting the 255 wide 18".  I run a 255/60-15 and while it gets a little tight to the front fender at full lock, it fit fine otherwise.  Could use different offset.

dodj

I run a 255 with a 5" BS. The 5" Bs will work fine..going 315, I think will present issues. 275 will be no problem.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Brads70

I have 315/30/18 on 18x11 rims but in no way will it fit in stock configuration. Ariel Alvarez  aka online as  RylisPro has a 73 Cuda and I think he has  315 on all 4 corners? I'm not sure if his car is stock or not?  He also makes a trans-am style front spoiler and other parts http://www.rylispro.com/

gzig5

Quote from: Brads70 on September 08, 2022, 05:06:30 PM
I have 315/30/18 on 18x11 rims but in no way will it fit in stock configuration. Ariel Alvarez  aka online as  RylisPro has a 73 Cuda and I think he has  315 on all 4 corners? I'm not sure if his car is stock or not?  He also makes a trans-am style front spoiler and other parts http://www.rylispro.com/

Yes, it was RylisPro I was referring to. I know he had 315's on the back (1.5" spring relocation) and I was pretty sure he had them fit on the front with no major modifications.  Was running 305 square setup before that.  I may have saved a link to the thread on Moparts and I'll see if I can dig it up.

Edit....Found the thread.  Unfortunately I think the pictures may be gone or maybe I just can't see them from this connection.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2287275/315-square-setup-e-body-cuda.html#Post2287275

To the OP on the original question, there are online backspace calculators that help you visualize the fit of various combo's.  If you know what you have now, you can measure the clearances and then input the new combos to see where they end up. 
One example of a simple one  https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/

Swamp Donkey

Quote from: rftroy on August 30, 2022, 03:24:22 PM

Thanks,
Robert

Did you ever figure out your front rim backspacing for an 18x8 rim?
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Wayne

I run 18 x 9.5 with 275 in the front. The wheel and tire you spec. will fit fine, its a little short though.

You can see how they fit in a video I made.  It goes over the wheel specs and fitment if interested.

1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A