Main Menu

1970 Challenger leaf spring bushing ??

Started by 750-h2, June 04, 2017, 08:16:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am in the process of rebuilding the rear suspension on my 70 V code. I took it all apart including front eye bushing. To remove the front bushing casing I had to saw through it to split it and then use a Zip gun and out it came. I bought new 1.5 OD bushings fully expecting to have to press them in but to my surprise they just slide in and are actually a sloppy fit. To make them snug I would have to wrap them up at least one full turn with electrical tape?  Has anyone else experienced this? 

Cuda Cody

Does not sound right at all.  Do you have a photo?

anlauto

Any chance you "opened-up" the spring when messing with it ? I've had dozens of those bushing replaced and never had that issue :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Are you using new rubber bushings with the steel sleeve around the exterior or are you using urethane?  The urethane bushings are designed so you leave the sleeve in the spring & just replace the rubber with the new urethane....

750-h2

Yes I am using new rubber bushing with the steel outer sleeve. What I  think happened is that there was lots of corrosion in the spring eye and I had the springs professionally sandblasted. The bushing opening is now clean but likely enlarged as it is heavily pitted.     

1 Wild R/T

RUNCHARGER

Weird problem. Is the gap tight where the spring eye wraps around and almost contacts the leaf? I can't see it opening up though because the original can was tight in there.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

When I install them I use the OE bolt, slide it through the new bushing, then through the old bushing which lines them up perfectly & press the old one out & the new one in at the same time....

750-h2

Yes the gap was tight. So what I ended up doing was cutting a 1.5 x 2 inch wide piece of thin sheet metal and tack welding it into the leaf spring eye. I then pressed in the bushing which is now nice and tight. Will see how long it lasts?   

HP2

Never heard of that a slight mis-match before. Typically  it is a mix up of the 1.5" vs 2" eye. It does sound possible the blasting cleared out all the material.

RUNCHARGER

Or the new bushing can was undersize a bit.
Sheldon