Main Menu

1970 'Cuda parking/emergency brake question

Started by usraptor, November 21, 2017, 02:49:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

I have a question about what causes the foot pedal/ratchet assembly to return to the "oof" or unlocked or up position after the release lever is pulled.  When I push the pedal down and then pull the release lever, the pedal does not come back up unless I reach down and pull it up.  Is this because the cable itself is not adjusted tight enough.  I did a search on here and read a thread about a small spring that may be broken or missing but that seems to operate the release lever and not the pedal/ratchet assembly as far as I can tell.  I removed by pedal assembly from the car and both the springs on the lever and the small spring inside at the rear are both present and neither are broken.  Besides, I don't see how either of these springs is connected to the pedal ratchet assembly.  I looked in the service manual and at a few pictures on line but nothing describes how the pedal/ratchet assembly returns to the "off" position so I'm assuming that the tension on the cable and the springs in the rear drum assembly are what pull the ratchet assembly/pedal back to the "off" position.  Is this correct?   :notsure:  If not what am I missing.    :dunno:

FYI, my cable was not tight enough to engage the rear brakes or prevent the car from rolling.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Quote from: anlauto on November 21, 2017, 02:59:34 PM
Cable tension is what returns the pedal.

Thanks Alan, that's what I sort of thought.  In retrospect, I should have tightened up the cable until it held the car before I removed the assembly in the car.   It's just that it worked correctly when I first installed it and then stopped, even though when pushed the brakes wouldn't hold the car. .  Cable was probably just barely tight enough at first and stretched a bit over several months as it was a new cable as were all the rear brake components. Live and learn.  :pullinghair:

usraptor

[quote author=Wedg2Go link=

Mine actually pushed through the front brace. This will cause the pedal to not return to the upper position since it places the ratchet and assembly in a release but loose position. I would imagine if this spring is broken,it would have the same cause and effect.

Let us know if this is the case.
[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, but no, the spring is not broken and is in place and did not poke through.

screamindriver

Grease is an important factor also.. The cables need to slide effortlessly through the sheathing{s} after time the cables bind up from dirt/rust and you're committed to pulling it back up...And there's a fine line between that perfect adjustment between too much brake drag and not enough tension...