Main Menu

1970 Floor Shift Steering Column (Manual Transmission)

Started by kent_goins, February 14, 2017, 10:12:53 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kent_goins

Hello Guys:
I have a 1970 RT Trackpack Challenger that has a 1973 or 1974 steering column. Cuda Cody indicated to me it may have been replaced in an accident. Good catch Cody. I need a replacement complete column for my 70 Challenger with manual shift. also need the lockout linkage which hooks to the transmission I think. Anybody can help...let me know.

Call me if you have it
Kent Goins
405-747-8588
Golden, Co

ec_co

you can also use an auto column now that Tony's is making a conversion collar. this might help a lot since manual columns are getting tougher to locate.

and  :welcome:  from the Westminster area :)
Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

6bblgt

kent_goins

kent_goins

to ec_co.....have not seen you at the golden supercruise with that cuda!!!

ec_co

@kent_goins  its because it's still in pieces in my garage, lol. probably be a few more years before she hits the road again

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Cuda Cody

Here's a 1970 Column.  Looks like the shaft is collapsed and the thing was soaked in salt water.

[ebay]232233552783[/ebay]

It's going to take a bit of work to save that one.  But wasn't sure how much time you have to wait for a better one to come up for sale.   :notsure:

fc7cuda

Here's your interlock linkage and other parts to piece it together properly.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=123

Good luck.  :bigthumb:

Tom

kent_goins

thanks cody and fc7cuda....all valuable information. I saw that 70 column listed on ebay earlier...maybe good for parts but I think I will wait for a better specimen. Any of you guys run across the 70 manual shift, power steering column...let me know. I have a restored steering wheel so do not need that.

KG

kent_goins

Jims auto parts is claiming to have used 1970 Challenger steering columns for sale....Anybody have experience with him? Reputable, etc...

ec_co

Quote from: kent_goins on February 15, 2017, 03:38:00 PM
thanks cody and fc7cuda....all valuable information. I saw that 70 column listed on ebay earlier...maybe good for parts but I think I will wait for a better specimen. Any of you guys run across the 70 manual shift, power steering column...let me know. I have a restored steering wheel so do not need that.

KG

don't limit yourself to a manual column (since they are tougher to find), you can update it to manual with this new part from Tony's http://forum.e-bodies.org/index.php?topic=372.0

Burdar

QuoteJims auto parts is claiming to have used 1970 Challenger steering columns for sale....Anybody have experience with him? Reputable, etc...

No, Jim's is not a company you want to do business with.  Many posts online about them.  They all say the same thing...rude lady on the phone, prices changing after order is placed without any notice exc...  Keep looking IMO!

Cuda Cody

I shared this thread with out Facebook group to see if they know of any 1970 columns for sale....   :fingerscrossed:

You will find a good one, just give it a bit and it will happen.

erik70rt

I think I may have one out in the shed.  I'll look over the weekend.  It was from a 1970 340 4 spd Challenger.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Cuda Cody