Main Menu

1970 V code leaf springs question?

Started by 750-h2, May 20, 2017, 07:13:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

I am about to start the restoration on my rear suspension. I believe in 1970 the V codes had the Hemi suspension which included 6 leafs on the left [5 full leafs and 1 half leaf]. On the right side I believe there should be 7 leafs but not sure if they used 6 full leafs and 1 half leaf or did they use 5 full leafs with 2 half leafs?  Any info and maybe pictures would be greatly appreciated!

anlauto

'024 and '034 ?

They both have six leafs, no "half leafs" . The leafs are different lengths and some point toward the rear on one and more toward the front on the other  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

It's more then just the number of leafs.  It's the size and the bend.  An easy way to tell what suspension you have is look at the number stamped on them.  V Code and Hemi's will have 34 and 24 on them:

34   #3400034 Driver Side Leaf Spring E-Body Heavy Duty "Hemi" Suspension (#3420177)

24   #3400024 Passenger Side Leaf Spring E-Body Heavy Duty "Hemi" Suspension (#3420176)

A neat easy way to get a nice new suspension and still keep the factory stamped numbers in them is to buy a brand new set from @MoparDave  and use the reproduction part number from @TONY

http://www.tonysparts.com/newproductsE.htm

You can also have your old springs re-ached so they sit back to stock.  I think I have an old original set of Hemi leaf springs around that I can take photos of if you need?

750-h2

Thanks guys! Learn something new everyday. Till now I beleived that on the 1970 [not 71] that there was and extra leaf on the right side?

750-h2

Now I am confused? Just went to Tony's site and his reproduction 024 and 034 are 1/2 leafs?

Cuda Cody

Those are just the bottom pieces of the leafs.  So the thought is you take apart a non numbered or matching set and put the correct numbers in for a more authentic looking restoration.  But yes, some of the leafs are shorter then others. 

Quote from: 750-h2 on May 20, 2017, 08:40:08 AM
Now I am confused? Just went to Tony's site and his reproduction 024 and 034 are 1/2 leafs?

750-h2

Thanks Cody. What I was referring to was Al's post where he stated there was no 1/2 leafs on those suspensions.

anlauto

I believe it was the 68-69 B Bodys that used the "half leaf" :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

750-h2

I just check the Chrysler parts manual. 1970 E bodies with 440 or Hemi had different part numbers for the right and left leaf spring assemblies part# 3420176 & 77.  For 1971 both right and left leaf spring assemblies have the same part # 3549059.  So we know there is a difference between the right and left 70 springs . Now to figure out exactly what the difference is?   

RUNCHARGER

The B-Body springs have half leafs only on the right side and I think 1 more full leaf on the driver's side.
The E-body springs point the half leafs forward on the right and rearwards on the left. The number of leafs is the same left and right but they are oriented differently.
Sheldon

MoparDave

Heres is what the mopar XHD look like
Please Email me at daver@manciniracing.com or call 586-790-4100

750-h2

Thanks guys!  Great info and pics.

750-h2

I just found this on another forum, Answered all of my questions with detailed pictures. This info only applies to 1970 E bodies with a Hemi or 440.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2016971/need-70-hd-e-body-hemi-leaf-spring-reference-pictures.html#Post2016971

anlauto

When I take them apart I mix up the leafs all the time. After 47 years there's sufficient ware marks that tell you where each leaf goes :alan2cents:

HP2

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 20, 2017, 09:41:39 AM
The B-Body springs have half leafs only on the right side and I think 1 more full leaf on the driver's side.
The E-body springs point the half leafs forward on the right and rearwards on the left. The number of leafs is the same left and right but they are oriented differently.

This.