Main Menu

1974 Challenger Power steering Gearbox replacement

Started by 74SilverSlugs, August 27, 2020, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

74SilverSlugs

So most vendors are telling me that the particular model I'm looking for is out of stock because the manufacturer doesn't have enough cores to rebuild.
I thought I lucked out on Amazon of all places but they sent me the wrong gearbox. I'm attaching pics of the gearbox currently installed. I think it's from an A body or a B body due to the casting number: G(maybe Q or C?) - 3643012, R14.

The shop it's in came across this part
https://advantagesteering.com/oe-power-steering-gear-box-chrysler-dodge-plymouth-mopar-1973-1989-shaft-1-250/
and I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on another gearbox without consulting some forum experts here first. He also explained that even though the low pressure fitting is going in at the angled port in front, it should thread just fine into the flat port pictured in that part.

I'll try to answer any questions as quick as possible, thanks In advance!

anlauto

Did you try RockAuto ? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3023382&cc=1078691&jsn=440  Members here get a discount.

The one your shop found looks correct....You have to use the angled port from your old box.

What's wrong with the one in your car ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

74SilverSlugs

Well the angled port is part of the box on top, so does that need to be transferred? It's a flexible hose that attaches to it, so can't it just be at a lower angle with the new box? I'm not too savvy with suspension so it's all new to me. And I'm replacing it due to getting almost everything else suspension replaced, and because it leaks and wasn't applying even pressure all the time. Starts whining in parking lots when doing  a dead turn too. Might look at replacing the pump later but for now while it's in the shop I wanted to swap it out.

74SilverSlugs

The one from Amazon was supposed to be a Cardone 27-6542. I wasn't familiar with the models I found on rockauto so I looked elsewhere at the time.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

74SilverSlugs

What about a firm feel considers it an upgrade? I've seen the name thrown around, but not familiar.

Keep in mind it's just a humble 318. By no means anything other than a sporty street cruiser. So if it's like a performance style part to do some fancy driving, I don't really need anything extra  :dunno:

7212Mopar

Making noise could be just a loose belt to the power steering pump. Very common to have leaks due to age. Only need to be replaced if worn out with lots of play in the steering or you don't like the steering feel. Search the forum under suspensions. Many threads on this subject and some are recent.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

jimynick

I've got a 74 Challenger and I sent my steering box to Firm Feel for their stage 3 modification. I'm happy with the result and the car drives very similarly to a newer one. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Scooter

Quote from: 74SilverSlugs on August 27, 2020, 12:29:26 PM
Well the angled port is part of the box on top, so does that need to be transferred? It's a flexible hose that attaches to it, so can't it just be at a lower angle with the new box? I'm not too savvy with suspension so it's all new to me. And I'm replacing it due to getting almost everything else suspension replaced, and because it leaks and wasn't applying even pressure all the time. Starts whining in parking lots when doing  a dead turn too. Might look at replacing the pump later but for now while it's in the shop I wanted to swap it out.

Just tossing my2c worth in:

1) Looks just like the unit in my 74 Challenger which was originally a 318 car. Mine does not have an angled return line port.

2) Whining is usually the pump.. not the PS unit.

3) Leaking on these is usually just the o-rings in and around the return line fitting. Cost for the 0-rings is about $35 and it's not a hard job. 

4) The left to right adjustment is made by making VERY small movement of that same return line fitting block held on by the 2 bolts.

Previous owner had mine redone by Steer & Gear, no complaints.

GL  :twothumbsup:

Montclaire

My understanding is that either Steer n' Gear or Firm Feel (or both) install bearings in the case which the boxes originally didn't have. I bought a Firm Feel Level 2 box years ago and really didn't notice any change over my original 60k, large sector box.

ricmunzy

anybody know what this steering box fits? I keep getting this as a replacement for the 1973/4 challenger the cardone  number shows exact fit 27-6542 but looks totally different than the ones that come out of mopars and there seems to be no way to hook up the hoses even if the thing physically bolts in- and the pitman arm only goes on halfway ??? :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: