Main Menu

2 Piece vs 1 Piece front to rear brake lines

Started by Cuda_mark, March 20, 2018, 07:05:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: HEMICUDA on March 21, 2018, 12:15:38 AM
The metering valve on the inner frame rail was used early in production.

Not what I've seen....  My Vert is 10/69, no valve.. My old R/T SE was 7/70 & had the valve, my 71 Hemi Challenger had the valve.... I know of quite a few other E bodies that follow the same pattern...

HEMICUDA

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on March 21, 2018, 12:31:08 AM
The metering valve on the inner frame rail was used early in production.

Not what I've seen....  My Vert is 10/69, no valve.. My old R/T SE was 7/70 & had the valve, my 71 Hemi Challenger had the valve.... I know of quite a few other E bodies that follow the same pattern...

You might be correct Randy, my 11/69 had the valve.

Cuda_mark

The metering valve on the inner frame rail was used early in production.  I would suggest calling Finelines for your lines, Bob should have the metering valve as well as the bracket (I made the bracket for him).  I'm not sure if he has any prop valves left.  If you're using a new prop valve, they were assembled incorrectly, there is a cup washer installed up side down and causes the rear brakes to lock up.  Finelines was correcting this issue on all the valves he was being supplied from MBM, the company that had the valves reproduced.  He never could get them to correct that issue, that's why there has been so many issues with the valve if purchased from any other supplies other than Finelines.  Also, the valves were being supplied without the little round rubber boot that we made for Finelines.  I'm pretty sure Bob sold all his remaining boots to Jim at Detroit Muscle Technologies.

Stainless steel lines?  I haven't used them for years, I have standard steel lines on may cars I've restored more than 10 years ago and still look as good as the day installed.  The flare on a stainless steel line is as hard as a rock and will not take the shape of the seat in the valve, I will never use SS lines again on any of my cars.

Thanks for the advice on not using SS and going with Bob at Finelines.

HEMICUDA

Had a long educational conversation with Bob from Finelines this afternoon.  70 ebodies started the model year with 3 brass blocks, the small one mounted on the frame rail was a proportioning valve, the large block mounted on the inner fender is nothing more than a distribution block and the smaller block mounted on the bracket next to the distribution block is a metering valve.  Starting in 1967 with the dual master cylinder, all power disc cars had a remote mounted proportioning valve up until 71.  In 71, the proportioning valve was moved from the frame rail to inside the distribution block.  He did say that, "maybe", some late 70 may have the 71 valve, eliminating the need for a proportioning valve on the frame rail and utilizing the single brake line.

bc3j

I found this technical bulletin from Dodge detailing the change of brake valves starting on January 1, 1970. The bulletin mentions the frame mounted proportioning valve and not to have both installed. I believe the metering valve remains on either unit.