Main Menu

340 Leaf Springs?

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 05, 2023, 05:43:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

What leaf springs did a 340 Cuda come with and are new ones available anymore?

I have a 71 hardtop Barracuda with a 318 but I'm Cudaizing it to a 340 / four speed. I'd like to stick with original style suspension components. Front sway bar has already been added when I rebuilt the front end.

The car currently drives smooth as silk so I really don't want to put monster leafs on the back. Just something a little firmer than the 318 ones to compliment the factory sway bars. I put the MP six pack springs on my 70 Bee years ago and it rode like a tractor.

dodj

I don't know about "factory correct", but I'll bet a place like Espo would know the spring rate and make you a set to your ride height preference.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

would there be a difference between 318 and 340 rear springs...my gut feeling is no.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

73chalngr

I don't think there's a difference in the Springs. But I'm pretty sure there's a difference in the torsion bars. As in the 340 torsion bars are larger diameter.

70 Challenger Lover

I honestly don't know. I like what I have so I'm not anxious to spend more money but I need to take it apart to put the rear sway brackets in the stack so I figured I'd get the correct 340 springs if there was such a thing.

If they are the same spring, I'll clean them up and install new bushings while it's apart.

As far as the torsion bars, I have a nice set of the 778/779 bars from a 383 car and it's my belief they are the same for 340.

benguin

Per the parts catalog 1970 and 1971 are different parth numbers. For respective years the 318 and 383 w/o high perf packages are the same.   The 340, and 383 high perf are the same. 340 6-bbl is arched slightly higher and has different pn

If you were closer to IL, I've got never installed set of Eaton 340 6bbl springs that could use a new home that I got back in the early 90's from Year One. Shipping would not be inexpensive.  Our e-bodies.org board sponsor, Roseville MoParts shows they have the HD springs for $150 each side.
  Ben

Moparmade

Heres a picture of Eaton springs I got for 340 & 383 HP
Also Eaton makes the ride height stock or +or- stock ride height

70 Challenger Lover

I like that Eaton site. So basically, I can get springs in rates of 85, 110, 125 and 175. The 175s are the HD ones I've used before that are like a 3/4 ton pickup.

If my 318 springs are rated at 85, the 110s might be just right. I'd probably get them in stock ride height too.