Main Menu

70 AAR Power Steering Pump

Started by Evil Spirit, December 01, 2019, 10:32:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Evil Spirit

We are adding power steering to a 70 AAR Cuda that we are in the final stages of assembly. Which power steering pump should the 340-6BBL use? Obviously I can't reference the build sheet, since the car was built with manual steering, and researching engine compartment pictures hasn't helped either. I have a complete pump and bracket setup from another small block, but it is the style pump with the press on pulley, which probably isn't correct. So, which pump is the more accepted as correct  - Federal or Saginaw? Thanks, Willie

6bblgt

1970 340s used the Federal power steering pump

anlauto

Here's the pump that came with my last AAR....I bought it in pieces, but I believe it to be original....Here's a question: Did all power steering equipped AAR's have a power steering cooler ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

I have not seen an AAR or TA without a power steering cooler yet.  Not sure if they all came with it, but I would guess yes.

Blake@diyhemi.com

My AAR has that power steering pump and pulley but no cooler. Auto slapstick car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

anlauto

Quote from: TX9AAR on December 02, 2019, 07:41:37 AM
I thought that the power steering cooler was determined by the rear end gear ratio

Yes, you are correct...I'm thinking it was 3:55's or higher....(3:91's 4:10's etc...)

However wasn't the standard gear on all AAR's 3:55's ? meaning they should all have the cooler ? Something I've always wondered about. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

6bblgt

yes, all AAR & T/As with power steering should have a cooler - the above orange AAR has the wrong pump  :alan2cents:

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 02, 2019, 09:33:22 AM
yes, all AAR & T/As with power steering should have a cooler - the above orange AAR has the wrong pump  :alan2cents:

Learn something new every day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

6bblgt

Quote from: anlauto on December 02, 2019, 05:59:30 AM
Here's the pump that came with my last AAR....I bought it in pieces, but I believe it to be original....Here's a question: Did all power steering equipped AAR's have a power steering cooler ?

:rubeyes:
what are the dates on the pulley & cooler?

anlauto

Quote from: 6bblgt on December 02, 2019, 09:58:57 AM
Quote from: anlauto on December 02, 2019, 05:59:30 AM

:rubeyes:
what are the dates on the pulley & cooler?

That AAR has been restored and sold twice over by now.....I think it's in Texas but I really have no idea...

EB3-GranCoupe

I picked up this  Blissfield cooler unit about 8-10 years ago. It looked like the one I had in my '74 'cuda360 car. I just looked at the date code, and it's 1060; I assume the 106th day of 1970?

Topcat

It should mount like this.

mccannix

Topcat shows the correct 340-6 power steering cooler and federal pump.
Easily identifyable by the long arm mounting bracket.
This cooler and pump are also correct for and used on 426 Hemi.
His pump mounting bracket shown is big block/Hemi.
Alans pic shows correct set-up with 340 mounting brackets.

EB3-GranCoupe

Did all AAR's & T/A's get Federal pumps? Did any come with Saginaw pumps?

Bossgold

The AAR's and T/A's all had coolers because the rear end ratios of 3.55 and 3.91 got these due to high RPM's and unique 3 spoke pulleys that are date coded (3199 - 319th day 1969) and numbered as well. Also, the correct coolers on the federal pumps had a habit of the Bracket breaking where they connected to the back of the federal pump as well as they weren't put back on after a rebuild of leaking pumps. Correct AAR's and T/A's have a 0 21  0 date code on the actual bracket for 21st day Jan. 1970. The picture above on this thread is correct but if you look at the date code on the bracket it reads 1973 which is 197th day 1973