Main Menu

70 Barracuda manual to power steering questions

Started by ErikR, February 07, 2019, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ErikR

Hey guys, I searched on this and watched Cody's videos for info but need to verify a few things.

For the box/pump I've got a lead on a 70 PS box and Saginaw pump from a 70 coronet, have to see if I can get the PS coupler also. Plan is to send to FirmFeel for a stage 2 or 3 rebuild.

Does the PS shaft have to be from an ebody?

Would any floor shifted 70-74 ebody PS shaft work?

Rich G.

Pretty sure you'll just need the p/s coupler. Not sure if the pitman arm is the same.

Chryco Psycho

The shaft should be fine from any year but not sure if the shaft is the same length in any other car , Get the matching coupler for sure if possible

ErikR

I'm trying to get the matching coupler also.

The column is from a 70 challenger which is great, but it may be from a column shift Automatic, in which case it will not work for a 4 speed manual?

70 Challenger Lover

I don't think you will have an issue being column shifted or not. I think the shaft is the same as long as it's from an e body car with power steering. Don't forget you need the lower pulley with the extra belt groove.

GrandpaKevin

When converting the wife's Challenger to power steering I bought 2 used power steering couplers that appeared good until I tried to install them and discovered they were both stripped.

I finally bought a new one (here) as that's too important of a part to take chances. :alan2cents:
http://www.steerandgear.com/chrysler-online-catalog
They list all the power steering couplers as the same.
I also bought a rebuilt sport feel steering box from them.

Chryco Psycho

You should be able to remove the column shift shaft & swap the lower housing to eliminate the shift collar
Actually the easiest fix is to use your column & just swap the inner steering shaft  :bigthumb:

ErikR

thanks Chryco, as best I can tell with having the part in from of me, all I need from that 70 challenger column in the lower shaft, so that's what I'm hoping to use.

I've read that some collapse the manual shaft so it's shorter, then re-attached with new nylon studs, but I think with this route new holes have to be drilled ?
...and then the column will have much less travel if it has to collapse in an accident.

I'm also gonna have to source a new lower double pulley since that one got cut in half  ::)

70 Challenger Lover

That's an interesting idea about collapsing the column shaft to make it shorter. If you are certain you want the change to be permanent, I'd collapse it and put a little weld to hold it together at the new shorter length. As far as wanting to retain the safety feature of collapsing in a serious accident, I wouldn't bother. That was the factory idea of putting in some ridiculous band aid safety features for marketing and maybe also to test ideas for later federal safety standards they knew were coming down the pike.

In a serious front end collision, this car and the occupants are not going to fare well. If the column were allowed to collapse, the energy absorbed would be minimal. Like taping balloons to your chest. Hardly worthy of trying to retain it. The factory also started using rubber bumperettes around this time for added safety. After 4 mph, they too were effectively useless.

I think if you could collapse it and secure it at the correct length, you have one less thing to contend with in your conversion.

Chryco Psycho

You would want a complete donor shaft  , preferably with the nylon plugs in place , if you just get the lower shaft the plugs will be gone , yes you would have to drill new holes to install nylon plugs or you could tack weld it which would have a similar effect & as above! The help you would have in a crash would be minimal as you would have to fold up the crush can to collapse the shaft , that can doen't crush easily BTW

70 Challenger Lover

I think by the time the crush can folds and the steering shaft collapses, your gonna wish you had been driving something newer with airbags.

70 Challenger Lover

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F254117484931

Is this the correct shaft you're looking for? Without measuring one of mine, can't tell if it's manual or power steering.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: ErikR on February 10, 2019, 08:39:38 AM
yeah good points about the limited safety benefit of the collapsing shafts, not gonna matter much in a head on collision.

I did see a few shafts on ebay that might work, I'd like to try and find one in person so I can get a really close look at the splines and verify the nylon studs are intact, shaft not bent etc.

Really just concerned that I get an original intact PS shift that is unmolested and so I've got to hunt some more on that.

I've got a core/box/coupler on it's way to Firm Feel which for me is on the other side of the country. A cool Mopar guy Brian in Seattle had a Craigslist ad for Mopar parts and had the 70 cores I needed and was cool enough to box it up and ship to firm feel. They have a 1 month backlog so I needed to get going on this  - and getting this shipped was a step in the right direction.

I want the stock box appearance so no Borgensen box for me, and the more I read about the FF stage 2 or 3 rebuilds I think I'm really going to like it.

I had firm feel do a box for me and I chose stage 2. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more firm. Nothing wrong with the work they did but it didn't seem any different than my stock box before sending it in. I told myself if I sent them another, I'd try the stage 3 rebuild next time. In fairness though, it was a power steering box and I suppose it's harder to judge the "feel" of things when the power unit provides so much assist.

303 Mopar

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on February 10, 2019, 12:34:06 PM
Quote from: ErikR on February 10, 2019, 08:39:38 AM
yeah good points about the limited safety benefit of the collapsing shafts, not gonna matter much in a head on collision.

I did see a few shafts on ebay that might work, I'd like to try and find one in person so I can get a really close look at the splines and verify the nylon studs are intact, shaft not bent etc.

Really just concerned that I get an original intact PS shift that is unmolested and so I've got to hunt some more on that.

I've got a core/box/coupler on it's way to Firm Feel which for me is on the other side of the country. A cool Mopar guy Brian in Seattle had a Craigslist ad for Mopar parts and had the 70 cores I needed and was cool enough to box it up and ship to firm feel. They have a 1 month backlog so I needed to get going on this  - and getting this shipped was a step in the right direction.

I want the stock box appearance so no Borgensen box for me, and the more I read about the FF stage 2 or 3 rebuilds I think I'm really going to like it.

I had firm feel do a box for me and I chose stage 2. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't more firm. Nothing wrong with the work they did but it didn't seem any different than my stock box before sending it in. I told myself if I sent them another, I'd try the stage 3 rebuild next time. In fairness though, it was a power steering box and I suppose it's harder to judge the "feel" of things when the power unit provides so much assist.

I have a FF Stage III and love it.  I would recommend it to anyone looking to improve their steering.

Chryco Psycho

Chrysler did an amazing job engineering the power steering system but really over engineered to the point where there is no feel left & you can turn fat sticky tires with your baby finger while sitting still !!
Stage 3 is a lot better  :twothumbsup: