Main Menu

70 Cuda Rear Sway Bar

Started by jlemler, February 27, 2018, 09:33:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

My 70 Cuda came with a front sway bar.  I have a rear sway bar.  There are no holes I can find in the rear frame rails to mount the sway bar.  Is there any template out there or reference so I can place the brackets in the right place?

P.S. it's a 383 with hemi springs and heavy duty suspension.

Burdar

A template really isn't needed.  With the leaf spring brackets and end links installed, the frame brackets will basically locate themselves.  :alan2cents:  The brackets are tapered to match the frame. 

303 Mopar

:iagree:

I have seen a dent or dimple on the frame rails where the holes are to be drilled too, so you may want to look or feel for those too.

Dakota

If I recall correctly, the dimples for the rear sway bar aren't present on the 70 model (at least not for the Challenger).  What have you or are you going to do about the bushings for the rear sway bar?  I have a OE rear sway bar (not sure what year). They apparently weren't serviceable on the sway bar I have so I ended modifying them to accept a modern bushing.

RUNCHARGER

I think the dimples were there on my April 70 Challenger but it's been a few years.
Sheldon

Burdar

I don't think a rear bar even existed early on in 1970 production.  It was first used on the T/A and AAR.  Anything built before those models became available, probably won't have any dimples in the frame.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Burdar on March 01, 2018, 08:26:51 AM
I don't think a rear bar even existed early on in 1970 production.  It was first used on the T/A and AAR.  Anything built before those models became available, probably won't have any dimples in the frame.

My '70 Barracuda was built around April 30 and had the dimples FWIW.

Burdar

When did the T/A and AAR come out?  Spring? 

Jim AAR

Quote from: Burdar on March 01, 2018, 02:09:54 PM
When did the T/A and AAR come out?  Spring?

Production started sometime in March 1970. Not sure of the Exact Date.

Here's the Production Date for my AAR:

From 6bblgt from my Broadcast Sheet:

by my calculations - your car was "In Process/In Plant" 3/18/70 almost 2-weeks EARLY

Chryco Psycho

I have a very early build 70 Chall & the dimples were there when I added the factory rear sway bar  :bigthumb: