Main Menu

70 Cuda Steering

Started by dj70, September 17, 2018, 10:47:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dj70

The car has new front end suspension, steering box and recent alignment but still have a bit of steering wander. What do I try next?

Dave

JS29

My 70 barracuda had A bad tire that made A slight pull, switched tire's and it wondered in the other direction.  :alan2cents: 

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the site @dj70   :welcome:

When you describe a bit of a wandering steering are you describing the steering wheel feels loose?  Like you can turn it a bit each direction but the car does not respond?  Or is the car wandering in the lane with the wheel not moving?  What tire combination are you running?

dj70

The steering wheel is tight. The car is wandering in the lane with the wheel not moving. I have to check the tires.

Cuda Cody

Sounds like it's a tire issue.   Do you have a spare set that you can try to see if it changes the problem or solves it without buying a new set? 

dj70

No spare set of tires. Tires on the car are new.

gzig5

Have you checked for play between the pitman arm and the center drag link?  I just finished replacing all the consumables in the front suspension and the taper that Pitman goes into was in a bit of rough shape.  As far as I can tell it will be OK for a while but I've seen some where the male is loose in a worn out taper and you get a lot of lost/uncontrolled motion in the steering system. 

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

RUNCHARGER

Do you have the alignment printout? I'm curious what toe in is set at.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Is the coupler loose in the steering shaft , you want max caster to keep the tires straight

HP2

Quote from: dj70 on September 17, 2018, 11:09:24 AM
The steering wheel is tight. The car is wandering in the lane with the wheel not moving. I have to check the tires.

Sounds like play in the box or coupler allowing the wheels to tram without translating it to the steering wheel. Most folks complain about this as slow or excessive steering input.

73_Cuda_4_Me

:iagree: It sounds like sector shaft adjustment, or loose steering box mounting bolts?

With new 'suspension, steering box, and alignment', the tie rods, pitman, and idler arms would have been checked and pointed out if any problems were there, IMO...

Not sure if new suspension included UCA bushings and ball joints, though... if loose or sloppy, that would account for some 'wandering'....
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Burdar

Where did you get the steering box?  Did you have your original one rebuilt by Firm Feel or Steer and Gear...or did you buy a rebuilt unit from a parts store?

If you had your original one rebuilt, was it rebuilt to stock or upgraded to a stage 2 or 3?  Parts store replacements are usually not a good idea.  The rebuilder usually just replaces the seals so they don't leak.  The box could still be worn out internally.  The first think I'd do is check the steering coupler for slop and then adjust the free play in the box.

Also, the stock power steering is extremely OVER BOOSTED.  That in itself can feel like the car is wandering.