Main Menu

70 Reverse Lockout Tube Restoration

Started by Gary AAR, December 29, 2019, 09:40:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

Looking for some help in the proper way to restore a 1970 steering reverse lockout tube.  See pictures below.  I have the following questions:
1.  Is the tube itself a raw unpainted/unplated part?
2.  Is the arm that is spot welded to the end of the tube plated with yellow zinc finish?
3.  If the arm is plated with yellow zinc, for restoration do you drill out the spot welds to remove the arm from the tube, then plate the arm, and finally spot weld the arm back on the tube?
4.  Is a new reproduction grommet/bushing that is in the end of the arm available from any supplier?
5.  How do you remove the grommet/bushing from the arm?
Thanks for the help.

anlauto

Yes you are correct on all points. The tube is bare steel (not plated) the arm is a gold colour, likely a yellow zinc, or gold cad...
I'm not sure drilling out the welds would work, how would you re-attach it without wrecking the plating ?
You could plate the whole assembly and then try and remove the plating from the tube ??? A quick dip in muriatic acid will remove the plating.

I just replicate it using spray paints.... :dunno:

I would really like to know about the rubber bushing as well...they seem to be always missing or dry rotted.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GCragtop

Gary AAR

As a follow-up to the steering column tube arm grommet/bushing, I found parts available at the following website:
www.ebay.com/itm/70-GTX-Charger-Roadrunner-Cuda-Challenger-Mopar-Steering-Column-Tube-Arm-Grommet

If this link doesn't work, just search for "Mopar steering column tube arm grommet" on Ebay.

See pictures below comparing my old bushing and grommet, and the new parts.  Fairly good reproduction, just a little pricey ($22.48).

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

From reading other peoples restoration threads, they are replating the entire tube.  Then they are removing the plating on everything but the lockout arm.  I'm not 100% sure any more but I think I read that the shaft had some type of coating on it.  It wasn't bare metal.  It might have been phosphated.

headejm

@Gary AAR  Did you happen to watch the series of videos Cody put together in our Resources section that show you about everything you ever wanted to know about steering columns? Very informative!  :cheers:

1 Wild R/T

Can someone post the grommet dimensions please?  Also the bronze bushing dimensions?

Gary AAR

The following are dimensions of both an original bushing and grommet, and a new reproduction set.  Dimensions (inches) listed correspond to the pictured grommet above.
Original grommet:
A - .375
B - .125
C - .619
D - .81
E - .26

New reproduction grommet (see above post for source):
A - .370
B - .125
C - .61
D - .858
E - .254