Main Menu

70 reverse lockout

Started by RJChallenger, February 03, 2019, 06:16:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RJChallenger

What was the engineer's thinking when they designed the reverse lock out system? Forcing you to put it in reverse to remove a key . Were there different mechanisms for automatics verses standard transmissions? The arm on the end of my 70 column has been cut of by the previous owner.The locking mechanism has been removed from my column ,so I don't have to worry about the column locking if the key is turned off while driving.Other than being "correct" is there any reason I need a reverse lockout system. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

completely different systems for auto & std trans , I believe they realized very quickly that it was not advantageous to have the interlock as it was only 70 that had it . the later spring lever on the column stopped you from accidentally locking the steering while driving which is still used today on some vehicles

anlauto

Pretty simple theory, when you're not in the car they wanted to make sure it was in park (auto) or in reverse gear (standard) with the steering wheel locked in one position. Therefore the car wouldn't go anywhere. :dunno:

Think the idea was so you couldn't leave your car in natural ready to roll away with the steering going wherever it wants...kinda dangerous  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

It was also touted as an anti theft device. As soon as headers went on the linkage came off....
Sheldon

RJChallenger

Does any one have diagram or sketch with dimensions of just the arm . I don't know if I'll ever buy/connect the lock out mechanism but if I do . It would be nice to have the arm already attached to the column. I can replace the steering column lock as I have most of that assembly still. thanks once again for every ones help.

Rich G.

I have it in my challenger and what a PITA. I leave the keys in my car when I park it in the garage and later on I'll want to get something out of the trunk so instead of reaching in and grabbing the keys I got to get in, put it in reverse then take the keys out. Now I know why people take them off.

RUNCHARGER

I dunno: I removed mine from my Challenger and about 20 years ago I was working out of town and my wife calls me and says the car won't start. I asked her to make sure it was in park and she said yes of course. I drove home 100 miles and sure enough it was in drive and nicely locked up with the keys removed. Good thing it was on flat ground.
Sheldon