Main Menu

'71 Cuda Front End Measurements

Started by Claudia, August 16, 2018, 07:23:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Claudia

I have a '71 Cuda with a 440 in it.
Front Wheels: 15" x 7" w / 3.75" BS
Tires: P245 / 60R15

Front tires rub front fender lip when trying to turn.
Looking to see what everyone's measurements are from the ground to the wheel lip opening on your front ends?

CudaMoparRay

24 3/4" on passenger side and 24 1/2" on driver side??
I however have a 360 which is lighter than a 440.

Claudia

Can anyone else provide measurements . . . especially anyone with a 440?

Mine are currently sitting at 23 13/16" on the driver side and 24" on the passenger side.

76orangewagon

The 440 engine weight doesn't matter and has nothing to do with your fender rubbing, crank up the torsion bars until it doesn't rub when turning plain and simple. Your wheel backspacing is 3.75" and a factory 15x7 Rallye wheel is 4.25" so that 1/2" less Backspacing is pushing your wheel/tire combo out toward the fender an extra 1/2". If you want a lower stance your combo isn't helping you achieve your goal.
I know that doesn't answer your question but you can get 15 different measurements and the end result is you still will need to adjust your suspension up to clear so you don't rub. 

Cudakiller70

What about rolling the fender lip up?
Maybe check Camber too?

HP2

Agree on the backspace issue. That's a common problem with some Cragars.

I'm running the equivilant of a 255 on my Challenger with no interference issues, but its got 4.75" of backspace.

Claudia

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on August 17, 2018, 02:24:07 PM
What about rolling the fender lip up?
Maybe check Camber too?

Not super stoked about rolling the fender lip . . . I would probably just buy new tires if needed.

HP2

What are your alignment specs? A little bit more negative camber may help just enough to stop the rubbing.

pink aar

I have the same problem. Has anyone noticed that the torsion bar may have become weak over time???  I did the measurement like the manufacturer guide says.   ONE  inch difference from the inside lower control arm to the outside of the control arm??  Any help would be grateful Thanks again

Claudia

Quote from: HP2 on August 20, 2018, 06:29:41 AM
What are your alignment specs? A little bit more negative camber may help just enough to stop the rubbing.

My car is a fresh build . . . it has yet to be aligned.

HP2

Quote from: Claudia on August 20, 2018, 07:21:40 AM
My car is a fresh build . . . it has yet to be aligned.

Since you have radials, you might have them install maximum caster with  about .5-.75* negative camber. These two are trade offs in a mopar so to get camber you have to give up caster. But with your backspace, the negative camber, you may be able to reduce the wheel opening interference. In exaggeration, if your tires look like this  /--\  then there is less interference with the opening than if they are straight up like this [--]. Camber is not as big a wear factor as toe, so if the rest of your alignment is on the money, the extra negative camber won't show  significant wear.

Quote from: pink aar on August 20, 2018, 06:57:13 AM
I have the same problem. Has anyone noticed that the torsion bar may have become weak over time???  I did the measurement like the manufacturer guide says.   ONE  inch difference from the inside lower control arm to the outside of the control arm??  Any help would be grateful Thanks again

Yes, torsion bars get weaker with age. They are a spring and springs loose resistance over time with use which will mean more body roll and brake dive.  A replacement set will restore ride quality to original. IMO, a step up to a more modern rate is not a bad idea either.  But, you also can modify your alignment to try and get some wiggle room for tire  interference.

Claudia

Just following up . . . a couple of before and after photos . . . all seems to be good now!  :woohoo:

HP2

Looks like you put a couple of turns in the t-bars to lift it up some.