Main Menu

71 Cuda over the frame brake line routing

Started by 440ehigh, December 26, 2020, 11:21:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

440ehigh

I'm sure this as been discussed before but couldn't find the answer looking for when I searched. But I'm trying to figure out if the right brake line that runs over the frame does the brake line run in the engine well then passes  through the hole that's in the splash shield or does the brake line run through the wheel well and under the splash shield right away. I'm going to attach some pictures that I've found online the first one is a Chrysler drawing that shows the brake line route but I can't tell if the line runs in front of splash shield or behind it. Then the last 2 pictures I'm going to post is of the line running through the wheel well.  I know 71 is the first year they have the hole in the splash shield and it would make sense that the hole is for the brake line but I've seen people say the hole is for a wrench.

cudaize

I think there is some variation during the model year of the exact routing and even where the hole is in the flap.  Attached are pictures of how it was run on my 71 340 convertible with 331 SPD and 11 inch drum brakes in the front. 

Also is a picture showing my original flap compared to what Jim at DMT supplies.   I believe Jim told me that the way mine is routed is how he has seen most B-bodies.

cudaize

Here's a picture showing that it just shoots right up to the firewall. I didn't take real detailed pictures of it before I removed the original but I had the original line as a reference when I was installing the new one

440ehigh

Ok thanks so yours runs through the wheel well. And your original splash shield had the hole in the back for it. Yea I show a post from a few years ago that Jim started trying to figure out the difference in the holes in the splash shield  on E body's. My car is a original Disc up front I don't know if that would've made a difference. Least you had your original one to reference

gaddied

OK, I have a question. The two photos in the first thread are photos of my 1970 Cuda 340.
My cuda was built in July 1970 one of the last 1970 Cudas built. As you see the front pass brake line goes over the frame and is clamped to the fender well. The question is , How is the front Pass brake line routed for a 1970 Cuda ?
I think mine is routed wrong , is it to be routed under the frame ?

440ehigh

I think a 70 should route under the frame from the information I've found but I'm not a expert that's why I'm asking how it should go. But since yours was such a late 70 build the assembly line could've already switched lines because they used up the under frame style and would've used what was available. If your car is original then I would say that's how it left the factory and replace it with over the frame style brake line.

gaddied

Quote from: 440ehigh on December 26, 2020, 04:11:54 PM
I think a 70 should route under the frame from the information I've found but I'm not a expert that's why I'm asking how it should go. But since yours was such a late 70 build the assembly line could've already switched lines because they used up the under frame style and would've used what was available. If your car is original then I would say that's how it left the factory and replace it with over the frame style brake line.
Just wondering about my brake line because all I have ever seen was on a 1970 Cuda the Pass brake line went under the frame.
Does anyone else have a 1970 Cuda with the Pass brake line going over the frame ?