Main Menu

8 3/4 rear axle bearing adjuster: Pic and location?

Started by docmel, July 15, 2020, 08:16:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

docmel

Hello

I'm in real need of a diagram of a 8 3/4 axle that shows location of the axle bearing adjuster.   And more importantly, if you have a pic, how can I find/see it once the rear wheel is removed??

Ive been busting the internet for the above (None show the axle bearing adjuster), so far, no joy 

Cuda Cody

Welcome to the forum @docmel    :welcome:

Is this what you are looking for?

73_Cuda_4_Me

:welcome: @docmel

@Cuda Cody 's pix are spot on for your 8-3/4 bearing adjuster! It's located on passenger side of rear... You have to loosen the adjuster tang that locks the adjuster at a certain position, depending on axle end play of around .008-.010 of an inch... turn adjuster clockwise to tighten end play.

For mine, I adjusted to remove all end play, then backed out one notch and tightened the tang down. Ended up with .007".

Note that this adjustment depends on the axle spacer being present inside the differential... it's like a 1-inch rod/slug that floats between the axle shafts inside the carrier.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

docmel

erik70rt

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on July 15, 2020, 08:49:09 AM
:welcome: @docmel

@Cuda Cody 's pix are spot on for your 8-3/4 bearing adjuster! It's located on passenger side of rear... You have to loosen the adjuster tang that locks the adjuster at a certain position, depending on axle end play of around .008-.010 of an inch... turn adjuster clockwise to tighten end play.

For mine, I adjusted to remove all end play, then backed out one notch and tightened the tang down. Ended up with .007".

Note that this adjustment depends on the axle spacer being present inside the differential... it's like a 1-inch rod/slug that floats between the axle shafts inside the carrier.

YES!  Do NOT forget to install the axle spacer!  There is an adjuster tool that makes it very easy to turn the adjuster ring.  If you don't have one, you can still do it but be careful not to damage the ring.
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Floyd

Can someone post a pic of the axle spacer?  Are they available somewhere?

73_Cuda_4_Me

Without the spacer, you will have a lot of end play... the driver's side will be loose as a goose...

If you haven't taken the diff apart, should be no problem...

Edit - added picture blow-up showing the spacer...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

erik70rt

Quote from: Floyd on July 16, 2020, 05:20:44 AM
Can someone post a pic of the axle spacer?  Are they available somewhere?

You can get them on ebay, parts suppliers and such
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Chryco Psycho

2 different types of spacer , the picture above is for the 4 pinion clutch type sure grip , the cone type sure grip uses a 1 piece spacer that cannot fall out as it is retained by the cross pin .

Chryco Psycho

docmel