Main Menu

Aftermarket Steering Wheel Adapters

Started by moparcar, April 01, 2018, 11:53:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

moparcar

What is everyone using for a steering wheel adapter for aftermarket steering wheels to stock columns? My project is more pro-touring/modern so it would most likely be a 6-bolt wheel like Momo or Sparco, etc (some are 5-bolt but looks like most are 6). Originally I was going to do an aftermarket column but with these creeping over $1K for a direct fit and the great column rebuild videos by Cody, I'm leaning towards a stock column since I already have a good floor shift column that I can rebuild. Do you keep the crush can or do the adapters take place of the crush can which in my mind would put the wheel to close to the dash unless it is a deep dish wheel?

I know Grant and PG Classics make repro Tuff wheels but that's not the direction I'm heading. I have an original 3-spoke Tuff that I could have reconditioned but I'm looking for more of a race feel and a little smaller diameter.

Thanks, Wes

RUNCHARGER

You'll go without the crush can. Then you just need an adapter that will bolt to a stock Chrysler steering column.
Sheldon

moparcar

So I would assume then that the adapter needs to be pretty long nearly the crush can length if not a very deep dished  steering wheel to get the wheel away from the dash.

Chryco Psycho

True you need an decent adapter or deep dish wheel to clear the lip of the dash .
What I have done in the past is drilled & tapped the center of the new wheel so it will fit onto the factory crush can & still hold the horn switch for the center cover

moparcar

Thanks. I could re-drill but hoping there is a decent adapter but that is always an option also.

Wes

moparcar

I guess I'm answering my own question but I thought I'd post this up for others if they had the same question in the future.
Here's an adapter for e-bodies to a modern 6-bolt wheel.

https://www.volantesteeringwheels.com/Auto-Pro-USA-Volante-Mopar-6-bolt-Hub-Adapter-p/sth1033-black.htm

Wes

Brads70

Quote from: MoparCar on April 02, 2018, 06:46:50 PM
I guess I'm answering my own question but I thought I'd post this up for others if they had the same question in the future.
Here's an adapter for e-bodies to a modern 6-bolt wheel.

https://www.volantesteeringwheels.com/Auto-Pro-USA-Volante-Mopar-6-bolt-Hub-Adapter-p/sth1033-black.htm

Wes

Thant's cool , I've never seen that part before. Thanks for posting I'm sure it will be helpful for others down the road....!  :bradsthumb:

gravyboy

Hi. I have recently installed a steering wheel adapter by flaming river. Pricey but nice. And easy solution.

moparcar

Quote from: gravyboy on April 03, 2018, 06:39:46 PM
Hi. I have recently installed a steering wheel adapter by flaming river. Pricey but nice. And easy solution.

@gravyboy Does the flaming river adapter allow other makes of wheels or only Flaming River steering wheels? I may be wrong but it seemed like it was only their proprietary wheels. If not that is a great option also. Thanks-

gravyboy

Hi. The one I have will take almost any 5 or 6 bolt steering wheel. I am using a Grant wheel. I'll try to get a pic...

moparcar

Great to hear the Flaming River accepts most aftermarket wheels also. Another nice option. Thanks for sharing!