Main Menu

Axle Housing Groove

Started by nicka, September 01, 2021, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nicka

Inspecting the axle housing after removing the inner axle seals, I noticed a groove passed one of the axle seals. Assuming that the axle seals have been removed before with a bit more force.  I used a 1 x 3 piece of wood starting from the center section.  Once I got out one of the seals, I used a pvc pipe the length of the housing to get to next axle seal out.  Do I need to worry about the groove?  Also, I ordered axle seals from Dr. Diff.  Do they get installed dry?  Currently have wd-40 to keep the housing from rusting.

7212Mopar

I suppose a thin layer of gasket sealant to fill up the scratches won't hurt. You need to put grease over the retaining seal spring before install so that the springs won't pop off when you tap the new seal in place.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

7E-Bodies

@nicka I'm at the exact same step you are and also going strictly through Dr. Diff. You'd be more than welcome to compare issues with me or ask for pics of mine. I'm learning as I go also.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Burdar

Are you using the factory style bearings or the "green" bearings? 

7E-Bodies

@nicka factory, ftapered and USA made Timken all the way.

dodj

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 02, 2021, 04:11:20 AM
@nicka factory, ftapered and USA made Timken all the way.
Just FYI. Some are made in USA. Most are not.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

nicka

I ordered the Tapered Timken Bearings from Dr. Diff for street use.  The invoice shows the manufacturer (USA/Canada). 

7E-Bodies

@dodj i checked with Cass at Dr Diff prior to purchasing. He indicated Timken were USA. $40 extra for better quality and nothing going to support a place that's already done enough for us was a small yet patriotic gesture IMHO.  :unitedstates:

dodj

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 02, 2021, 08:30:00 AM
@dodj i checked with Cass at Dr Diff prior to purchasing. He indicated Timken were USA. $40 extra for better quality and nothing going to support a place that's already done enough for us was a small yet patriotic gesture IMHO.  :unitedstates:
Excellent!  :bigthumb:
I like to support North America as well. Glad the ones you are getting are USA made. I bought some Timken bearings for my rear end swap a couple years ago from Summit and they were Taiwanese. Not saying they are bad, just prefer to support N.A.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill