Main Menu

B body rear swap, stock rear sway bar still work?

Started by FSHTAIL, August 08, 2017, 11:25:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

Quote from: gzig5 on May 04, 2018, 07:16:15 AM
Quote from: Chris Pauluk on May 03, 2018, 11:28:34 PM
I'll be doing the swap on the 12th, then I can buy new tires!

Nice!  What size are you going with?
I'm going to do this swap and I think I'll make up some links like Crash did.

295 55 15's possibly.. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Crash520

I have 295's on my Cuda with a B body diff, 15x10 rims zero offset and no issues, no fender lip trimming or folding either
Greg
Brisbane
Australia

FSHTAIL

If one were to order an aftermarket rear swaybar, what vehicle would you order it for? 

Chryco Psycho

I would order the stock rear sway bar that hangs on the frame & drops to the diff , you can use an offset link or bend the end of the bar in a little , it only needs 1" or so on each side

HP2

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on March 31, 2019, 09:26:59 PM
If one were to order an aftermarket rear swaybar, what vehicle would you order it for?

Most aftermarket sway bars mount under the axle, then link to the frame, so they are fairly universal.  The specific E body frame hung unit is not widely available and I've only ever seen it at Firm Feel.

anlauto

I thought when you do the typical "B Body rear end swap" the mounting tabs on the rear axle are the same distance apart as the E Body only the housing is a narrower width ??
Meaning if the springs stay in the stock location, then the stock rear sway should work without modification  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP2

Actually, no. The B body housing swap is a drop in  IF  you move the leafs inboard one inch per side. If you leave the leafs in the stock location, the B body housing requires new spring pad mounts.  But, we're also talking about an inch here. A revised or longer link would still mount the stock bar to the new pad location.

gzig5

Quote from: anlauto on April 01, 2019, 11:29:28 AM
I thought when you do the typical "B Body rear end swap" the mounting tabs on the rear axle are the same distance apart as the E Body only the housing is a narrower width ??
Meaning if the springs stay in the stock location, then the stock rear sway should work without modification  :dunno:

I think the all of them move the spring and the older ones are narrower end to end.  The one I'm installing (66-67?) has the spring perches 1" inboard on each side compared to the E-body.  44" vs. 46" centers.  It's also narrower hub to hub.  So the end links anchors on the spring mount will be 1" inboard on each side from where the end of the sway bar is.  Something has to move if you are using the stock bar.

anlauto

Guess I learn something new everyday  :worship: ...I always thought there was a B Body rear end that just dropped right in, I didn't realize you had to move the spring or spring perch to make it work... :bigthumb:  In that case, yes I guess the stock sway bar would have to move if the spring is no longer in the stock location.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mopar jack

Firm feel makes a sway bar for the B body conversion. You have to drill holes in the frame to mount it  as it probably won't line up with your stock holes.

Brads70

The Hotchkis rear sway bar it light weight has 3 adjustments and makes no difference what rear end your running as it bolts to the rear end not the frame rails.  :alan2cents:

shawge

Quote from: Chris Pauluk on March 31, 2019, 09:26:59 PM

Call up FF, tell them what you have/want, and they will set you up. I've got a B-body width Dana with a 1" spring relocation. pretty sure they sent me a B-body rear sway bar - I'll need to double check the invoice. BTW, 3" TTIs fit just fine with the rear bar.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Chryco Psycho

I prefer the frame hung bars , better for handling & unsprung weight  :alan2cents:
It is easy to tweak the ends of the bar inward .
Most aftermarket bars are diff mounted which means you can see them under the car & as above the weight is in a worse position

FSHTAIL

Quote from: gzig5 on May 04, 2018, 07:16:15 AM
Quote from: Chris Pauluk on May 03, 2018, 11:28:34 PM
I'll be doing the swap on the 12th, then I can buy new tires!

Nice!  What size are you going with?
I'm going to do this swap and I think I'll make up some links like Crash did.

I believe I can stuff a 305-50-17 tire under it..   
I just have to get the right backspacing to pull it off..