Main Menu

Ball joint problem?

Started by 70pumpkin, July 30, 2018, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70pumpkin

I'm hearing a pretty consistent grinding metal 'squeak' (if there is such a thing) coming from around the left front tire - sounds like it's behind the wheel.  It happens when driving around the block at 25mph or less.  A few times, the car stopped accelerating, hesitated, and then pulled to the left and right (on separate occasions).  No noise when engine is cold or idling. 

The noise sounds bad enough that I haven't driven it until I figure out what's going on. 

Could this be a ball joint issue?

JonH

Brake hanging up or wheel bearing. My guess is brakes. Do you have front disc? If so, it sounds like the caliper is hanging up...  :alan2cents:

72bluNblu

Yeah that's not a ball joint. Bearings or brakes.

jimynick

Please don't take the car out on the road until you've sorted this out. You mentioned it "stopped accelerating" and if it's a seizing bearing and you keep driving it, you can snap the spindle off if it welds solid and you're going fast enough. Metal on metal is usually, as mentioned, brakes.  :tool:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Agreed; Please don't drive it and it sounds like front brakes or front wheel bearing. More like brakes I think.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Chryco Psycho

Could be as simple as a rock trapped in there or a seized caliper

70pumpkin

Pulled the wheels off last night.  Found the grease cap loose with some metal in it, and the hub was a bit loose.  Right hub is fine.  Suspension looked to be okay.  I don't have much experience with bearings, hubs, etc.  How hard of a job is it to fix this?  Btw, car has front discs.

7212Mopar

If spindles are not damaged, it should be straight forward to replace the seals and bearings. Dr Diff sells the kit. It should be an hour each side and should do both sides at the same time. I would service brakes while the calibers are off. A lot of YouTube videos on this and info on this site.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

7212Mopar

BTW, I think the 72-74 spindles are larger and 70-71 are smaller. So the bearings are different. Check with Dr. Diff (Cass). He answer calls and emails fast.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

72bluNblu

Quote from: 7212Mopar on August 01, 2018, 12:35:12 PM
BTW, I think the 72-74 spindles are larger and 70-71 are smaller. So the bearings are different. Check with Dr. Diff (Cass). He answer calls and emails fast.

1970-1972 have the smaller inner wheel bearings and originally used a 2 piece rotor (the reproductions are a single casting now). '73-74 use larger inner wheel bearings and had a single piece casting for the rotor.

jimynick

No offense to Dr.Diff, but I bought everything (bearings,seals,calipers, pads, hoses and rotors) off the net with the vast majority of it coming from Rock Auto and it's tough to beat their prices! Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70pumpkin

Pulled everything off and the spindle is damaged - beyond repair  :angry:

HP_Cuda

So the spindle got damaged by a bearing coming apart?

1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

72bluNblu

Quote from: jimynick on August 03, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
No offense to Dr.Diff, but I bought everything (bearings,seals,calipers, pads, hoses and rotors) off the net with the vast majority of it coming from Rock Auto and it's tough to beat their prices! Just my  :alan2cents:

Sure, if you happen to be close to one of their warehouses, and most of your parts come from a single warehouse.  For me their low prices are pretty much always negated by their high shipping costs, especially if the parts you need come from multiple warehouses. Plus it always takes a week or more for their stuff to arrive, can't order from them if I need it in a hurry. They seem like they're a better resource if you're not on the West Coast.

And honestly I'd rather do business with Cass, even if it ends up being a few bucks more. I know if there's a problem he'll take care of it. Rock Auto will just give you the run around, and then paying return shipping will hammer you.